Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Event hire questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrchay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Event hire questions
    Posted: 26 April 2015 at 10:29pm
Hi again all,

Thanks to people getting back to me previously when I was asking for some leads on hiring a small (5k ish) PA for an outdoor party for 100 people. Nothing needs to look fancy in the slightest.

I know its cheeky as hell to even suggest it on here where people's livelihoods depend on hiring kit, but I just cant afford the kinda prices. Im not corporate, I just had to sell my subs since I didnt have room in my house :-(

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could work out a soundsystem for 2 days, for less than what seems to be a dry hire price of about 200 a day? when I add the cost of van rental, the cost of gennie hire, this is too much money and theres no profit being made by me here.

Heres what I have:
2 2x10 + 1inch horn tops, eminance deltas in them, lovingly hand made, maybe loud enough for 100? seems a stretch
2 Hill 1200 amps,, beringer crossover with sub out.
1 chinese honda clone 6hp generator

less usefully,
2 15 inch bass drivers, 800watt 4inch vc from thomann (and not enough free time to build some cabs, but one day)...

Any suggestions? 

At the moment I'm thinking 
1. find someone who can do a hire at a cheap enough rate for me, perhaps old stock or something
2. (i did this last year) buy some sub cabs, and sell after the event
3. same as 2 but make a personal arrangement with someone who has bins in storage.
??

jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 10:48pm
Where are you?

Try and find someone who will lend you what you need and pay them back in labour.

£200 quid hire translated in to £10 an hour is 2 x 10 hour days.

One of the best lessons I have learnt in life is Dont take a favour unless you really have to. Work on a payback basis and you won't go far wrong. Going round trying to blag stuff you will piss people of and eventually alienate yourself from the scene.

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
mrchay View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrchay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 10:53pm
That's an awesome way to go but I work full time (lucky and unlucky me). The only thing I can offer in return is some embedded programming....

Edit.. The thing is I can't afford to pay more in hire fee than the second hand buying cost...

Edited by mrchay - 26 April 2015 at 11:01pm
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 11:03pm
there are plenty of cowboys out there who will rent kit for a fraction of the market rate! Look for local soundsystems, one man weekend warrior 'hire companies' etc etc.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2015 at 6:37am
200?.... give up sleep and build a pair/four bass bins.

You need to find a rite idiot to give you two days dry hire for 200quid.

It wont take you too long to knock together some reflex/extended cubo15's. You get out of life what you put in!

If this was impotant to you you'd either find more money or find time to build... if you cant find either it cant be THAT important!

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
mrchay View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrchay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2015 at 10:10am
Fair enuf.
That's what I did last time, I just wondered if there was an easier way that wasn't ripping Anyone off.
lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2015 at 10:16am
Buy some tat from your local Cash Converters & sell it back after?
Motion54 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motion54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2015 at 10:19am
Not sure of your event details, but if you are the one organising an event, it's usually best the confirm what the best price you can get each element required to pull the event off, before committing yourself.

If the event is important to you because it's a charity event etc then knock up some bass boxes for your drivers and run with what you've got, becauae you could get away with what you've got to cover 100 people.

If a decent sound is important, than the budget needs to reflect this!!
mrchay View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrchay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2015 at 3:25pm
thanks for advice people.
I'm going to  build some bins with what i have (the 15's), and see if i can get a lend of anything else.
Its not a big deal sound event, nor is is charity, its camping for an extended friend group, so bit of an unusual one.

CGR1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CGR1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2015 at 3:33pm
where are you based?
mrchay View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrchay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2015 at 7:23pm
hi, im in london. since im taking the advice here and pull;ing my finger out to build some simple bins, i think i will be ok.
I dont want to annoy anyone else by suggesting I rest their lovely kit for pennies! c

SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 1:08am
What's the event? Is it friends or client? When and where? Wedding reception volume or rave?
 Post Reply Post Reply