Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FaitalPRO 18XL1800

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FaitalPRO 18XL1800
    Posted: 29 April 2015 at 12:43pm
FaitalPRO Introduces 18XL1800 High-Excursion, Neodymium Cone Woofer.
Could be interesting.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/faitalpro_introduces_18xl1800_high-excursion_neodymium_cone_woofer/
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 1:11pm
that's a lot of xmax Big smile
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 1:58pm
Hmm, very high Q. It will require a massive chamber.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 2:08pm

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

The Q is not huge compared to their 18 XL 1600. The XL 1800 will more than likely be classed as their best 18-inch driver for the regional touring market using reflex enclosures.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 2:11pm
Did anybody actually read the press release? It's intended explicitly for infra purposes, below 40Hz, with traditional subs using their other drivers running up for there.

They also state it won't work in horns well, and is more for reflex, transmission lines or tapped horn purposes.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 2:33pm
hey

yeah the press release suggested big reflex boxes or tapped horns.

Not that I plan to get any anytime soon but was gonna have a play with some tapped horn and ported horn designs when I get some time and see what comes out.

k
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Did anybody actually read the press release? It's intended explicitly for infra purposes, below 40Hz, with traditional subs using their other drivers running up for there.

They also state it won't work in horns well, and is more for reflex, transmission lines or tapped horn purposes.

Correct. I saw the first few samples of that in November and had few words about it ;)
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

The Q is not huge compared to their 18 XL 1600. The XL 1800 will more than likely be classed as their best 18-inch driver for the regional touring market using reflex enclosures.

Best Regards,

Yes it is bigger then XL1600.

I have tested that one years ago when i was choosing the right 18 inch for my subs. All i can say is their spec are quite dubious. Other 18inch will similar xmax but quite lower declared sensitivity killed it badly.
Also sounded kinda floppy (if that is the right expression when the magnet is not keeping the cone tightly under control).

Some other issues with it are still unresolved and they are adamant about their design flaw regarding the tinsel leads.

Edited by MarjanM - 29 April 2015 at 3:24pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 4:35pm

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Best Regards,

Yes it is bigger then XL1600.

I have tested that one years ago when i was choosing the right 18 inch for my subs. All i can say is their spec are quite dubious. Other 18inch will similar xmax but quite lower declared sensitivity killed it badly.
Also sounded kinda floppy (if that is the right expression when the magnet is not keeping the cone tightly under control).

Some other issues with it are still unresolved and they are adamant about their design flaw regarding the tinsel leads.

The differential of the QTS of XL 1600 vs XL 1800 is only 0.04  (0.36 vs 0.4)

The difference of the VAS is 6.9 cubic ft vs 6.56 cubic ft (XL 1600 vs XL 1800)

The difference in fs is 32 Hz vs 29 Hz (XL 1600 vs XL 1800)

The magnet does keep control of the driver it just allows the speaker to move freely when playing lower frequencies (35 Hz and below) and not force it to stop like drivers offering a QTS of 0.27 and below residing on an 18 inch chassis. Not everyone wants bass to sound like hammer hitting a nail into a wall.

The tinsel leads may have been resolved with this new driver. Only time will tell. Historically, there were other companies that faced tinsel lead issues and rectified the problem. We can only wait and see if this new driver will offer the same issues as the XL 1600 or not.

xmax can be measured anyway the manufacture feels fit. There is no standard on how xmax is measured. However, the XL 1800 offers a 45 mm winding depth whereas the XL 1600 offers 31.3 mm winding depth. So while the XL 1600 and XL 1800 are very close, the true separation lies in the winding depth of both drivers.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 5:07pm
My feeling is that Faital still have a road to walk to earn my trust. Id rather stay with the BMS 18N862 :-).
Those have 50mm winding depth and a real 19mm xmax. They dont add 25-30% in their formula as the rest do.
According to Faital formula, those will have 25mm xmax :-)
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 5:29pm
Honestly, this tinsel lead issue on the XL1600 seems a bit overblown or maybe from an older unit - I've used many, many of these drivers in the real world with a serious amount of power going into them (full pelt off a K20 into 2 drivers per channel, often!) and not had any issues whatsoever, no dead drivers, no snapped tinsels, nowt.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 8:40pm
Likewise, in-fact i was going over a load of subs earlier today and can see no evidence of this tinsel lead issue despite the drivers being driven to the point of the cabs getting quite warm many times.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>