Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

behringer XR12 X-Air Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: behringer XR12 X-Air Review
    Posted: 01 May 2015 at 8:34am
So bought one of behringers / midas new toys this week, opened it up yesterday 

Pretty decent build quality considering I wasn't expecting much for the money (£261) 

it's also loads smaller than i thought it was going to be.. I can easily put this into a DJ box without it being in the way

Took a few minutes to connect to my ipad, pretty easy procedure, didn't even bother with the instructions, simply found it on my wifi / networks page, then opened App and there she was !

Not done a gig yet, but noticed a very slight bit of latency between moving a fader and something happening through the rig, also the App isn't really as intuitive as the x32 software.. ie i had to play for half hour or so to get my head around it, whereas the x32 App I just picked it up and pretty much understood what was what.. 

The EFX inserts are somewhere between a DAW and an actual desk.. rather than having FX per channel you have to route them on an insert.. so all mics / channels would potentially be sharing the same EFX channels, as you only get 4x inserts total.. which is pretty crap really, but workable for what I want at least

Sound quality wise, we A+B'd with a Soundcraft MH4 and plugging laptop direct into the rig ( Martin Audio W8 + W8s) 

Sounded pretty good at the levels we were playing with, certainly held its shoulders up to the Soundcraft and only a little difference to having laptop direct into the system 

i'm really impressed so far if i'm honest.. gonna try it some more, as i'm a little worried about it losing connection mid gig 

Edited by brokenjoe - 01 May 2015 at 10:19am
error 404
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 6:52am
used this on a gig tonight, sound quility is very good IMO, big nause was the wifi kept dropping out, and i couldn't lock the network out, even tho it said it was on screen.. so guessing everyone in the room was trying to use it.. hopefully getting this sorted will stop it been so stop start.. was a basic DJ gig, so luckily didn't cause any major issues :/ 

but the thing really does sound good :) 

imo

error 404
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 9:06am
Hi joe

There is plenty of discussion re dropout on the berry digital mixer forum,

Glad you got on ok with it, mine is in the post.

Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 9:59am
I`ve read about this as well...  are you using the in-built wifi client?

I`m tempted when we get ours to use an external router with a better security and range.

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 10:31am
Hi guys,

People go on and on about 5gig, but I have found a solid router on 2.4 has worked well for me on Vnc duties in the past, I am not sure if the mixing apps require more communication than two laptops talking to each other or not, I have an aiport express which I consider useless to be honest and I will try my old wrtg54 and the express and see which works best, ( when my x arrives that is)

Good luck

Kev
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 12:02pm
yes i was using the onboard wifi,  it connects super fast when opening the app, once you have paired them up.. 

but on the night it was a bit stuttery.. 

i also tried recording via the usb on the front.. about to see how that came out.. 

gotta say, for the money i'm super impressed.. which considering it says behringer on the front is crazy for me to say!
error 404
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:17am
I know that badge is off putting to a few, but they have bought decent companies and the brains from them companies are creating quality affordable products it seems, and I am told that the machines that are building this gear are top notch too, so reliability should not be a major issue with the xr range when you consider it was the routing switches and knobs and pots that plagued berry mixers in the past, I have never had a berry mixer fail, only the crackly pots and switches made me replace a unit. Ok the sound is a subject for another discussion.

So what can you do these days other than give it a go or send it back to thomann?

Cheers

Kev

Edited by kevin tyler - 05 May 2015 at 10:15am
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 11:21am
i'm really happy with it tbh.. the limiters were transparent, it sounded like i'd not plugged anything in tbh ! 

only gripe so far is the lagging on the wifi, but i think i should be able to sort that 

the recording option is a nice touch too.. whacked a usb in, set levels, pressed record.. 2 hour WAV dragged from usb.. nice! 

i think i can record a multitracked wav too if I use a cat5 into the unit via my laptop 
error 404
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 11:22am
in fact i may order a couple more ! 

bit of gaffa over the behringer logo, keep the midas one.. jobs a goodun 
error 404
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 11:54am
If you don't want to deal with the iPad they have this control surface to go with it called the X-Touch. Be interested in how well it works as a control unit, paired with an X-Rack and its basically the same principle as an iLive, all the brains is in the stage rack and you just get a control surface. Dump the box on the stage and plug your control surface in over ethernet and thats it.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/X-TOUCH.aspx
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 12:07pm
looks erm.. familiar 

error 404
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 5:58pm
Well mine is getting getting delivered tonight, I hope it's worth the wait, saying that, it's not like anyone has complained about the lack until now of a low channel count digi mixer is it?

Thanks mr Behringer, 😄
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>