Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Phase shift audibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 7:14pm
Yeah that screen shot suggests incorrect measurement delay (HF arriving ahead of time) a poorly aligned crossover (2x LR24 without inverting one channel perhaps) and possibly a poor mic position allowing for reflections. Not really a comparison at all.
mitchiemasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 3:27pm
Toast. In a driverack when I use LR24 should I be inverting my subs. I thought with steeper slopes inversion wasn't needed or is it the other way round.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 8:33pm
I try to avoid inverting subs wherever possible, it's fine for playback but if you ever do a drum kit you'll be fighting the subs the whole time.

But yes, in general two LR24 side by side will need a polarity flip on one side of the filter position to avoid having to use loads of delay to align the elements. It isn't always the case, but more often than not it is.

Edited by toastyghost - 30 May 2015 at 8:33pm
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2015 at 11:52pm
I have changed the crossover points a bit since last time and have played the system with the phase shift buttons in normal position.

I was just listening to records using the front end of the sound system and decided to test if I hear the difference anymore. Im using headphones.

Well it does seem to me after lots of listening that at the moment with the phase shift button pressed down on ONLY his there seems to be a bit more "slam" and drums and percussion + cymbals sound a bit different.

But again, the difference is not big. It does sound different on headphones. I have a session tomorrow with the sound system, Ill try during soundcheck if I or someone else hears a difference in the sound.

These kinda things are menacingLOL "Is the sound better or not..."

"what!?"
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2015 at 11:57pm
Oh by the way the slope in the crossover is 18db bw...

Ill continue to study this weird subject of sound LOL

"what!?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678