Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QSC PL 9000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 7:32pm
Plenty of Reggae crew in London have blown 1x channel of a PL9.

The London PL9 phase came and went.

If your drivers are not ideally suited to your Scoops, no amp will make them blaze.

Forget PL9, get Void Inf8MK2.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:01am
I bow to Lev about the Driver loading, but a PL 9.0 will lay waste to an Inf 8, in any low end app, BUT, and this is the Jeniffer Lopez of Buts, if you don't have access to hefty mains, the Inf is your baby any day of the week, won't play as deep or as loud as the Pl but will put up with 13A socket gigs (it is better with a big supply) the Pl 9.0 will not take kindly to high load on crap mains!
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 9:00am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

but a PL 9.0 will lay waste to an Inf 8, in any low end app, BUT, and this is the Jeniffer Lopez of Buts, if you don't have access to hefty mains, the Inf is your baby any day of the week, won't play as deep or as loud as the Pl but will put up with 13A socket gigs (it is better with a big supply) the Pl 9.0 will not take kindly to high load on crap mains!

Yes Shag, getting the beans out of a PL9, is all about how much current you give the guy. LOL

Turbomax 1200 were monumental in the right cab, but if the OP has Turbomax 1500s, I would start by selling those, then everything becomes easy.

rolandoalphonso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolandoalphonso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 10:43am
OK so it will easier fail with lesser current or perform less quality sound? I could live with the latter, since many venues have serious power but some don't.

Seller say the inside is upgraded to " mk 2 version cards and the transistor failure from first generation fixed/upgraded.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolandoalphonso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 10:51am
I would run it in stereo mode into 2x cow scoops loaded with tm1800 per channel. Will change the 1800's for the t1200's tho, if I can sell them. It's not a too heavy load on the amp is it, running in 4 ohms and all?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 11:03am
Cow Scoops, Turbomax 1800s... Oh dear...

Before you buy any amps, would "strongly" suggest you rethink what you are aiming for.

Speaking as someone who has heard both of these, and knows you could obtain a lot more spl and depth, with lot less power, with other drivers and cabs.

Edited by levyte357- - 23 May 2015 at 11:06am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolandoalphonso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:26pm
Yes Lev, you are probably right but but well I've got what I've got now and gonna work with that. I've tested them with 2x bridged xti4000 and it did sound ruff , to my ears & body tho - but yes more vibrations than tone..

anyway, regardless what I'll end up with in the end, I'd like to have a badass amp

So, about the amp and power supply - would you think that by occasionally using the amp on weaker mains would would increase the danger of it blowing / dying?

Respects,
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 3:39am
Lev, please don't shoot me down here...

If you are running a "sound System" type rig, more for a vibe than profit, you will be more doing parties, than using venues to get established, so you won't have 63A single phase which is entry level for PA at small venues, so play the cards you are dealt and get an INF 8, the PL is a more pro choice, but it is a bit like carrying 3 phase Lodestars on an am-dram tour.....

The drivers you have are not crap and the scoops you have are far from crap, but as a married couple, listen to Lev.....

But if you need to play a few shows to get cash for either a driver swap or box build.

Also, look at renting for bit, a K10 is like £35/day and keeps cash fluid until you decide format...

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 4:31am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Lev, please don't shoot me down here...

If you are running a "sound System" type rig, more for a vibe than profit, you will be more doing parties, than using venues to get established, so you won't have 63A single phase which is entry level for PA at small venues, so play the cards you are dealt and get an INF 8, the PL is a more pro choice, but it is a bit like carrying 3 phase Lodestars on an am-dram tour.....

The drivers you have are not crap and the scoops you have are far from crap, but as a married couple, listen to Lev.....

But if you need to play a few shows to get cash for either a driver swap or box build.

Also, look at renting for bit, a K10 is like £35/day and keeps cash fluid until you decide format...

Have no fear, Shags... LOL

In the higher echelons of Dub circles, where big boys play, some of those venues will have 3 phase 32/63A, e.g, places like Scala near Kings Cross, some of the event halls at Wembley..

For majority of the smaller crews, they'll be lucky to find 3-4x genuine 32A supplies, fed by decent incoming cable gauge.

I've seen PL9 on proper 32A supply, properly spank 8x 1850s.
Also seen PL9 thermal on one channel for a while, with only 2x 1850s per side, due to probably no HPF on preamp being used.

At one time in London, at least 4-5x crews I knew, had a PL9 with a blown channel, and no way to fix it.

An Infinite 8MK2, can seriously power 2x Turbomax 1500s per channel, even on 13A plug, if supply not sagging, where plug was, ahem... "Altered from specification".

For use in Dub/Reggae circles, only PL9s on the planet, I would even consider, are ones repaired in US, "with paperwork to prove it". Time has shown, others are just grief waiting to happen. IMHO..

EDIT:K20 has been proven to be "the" lightweight amp on the block, with the new 8x channel thing sounding immense, last time I heard it.

Edited by levyte357- - 24 May 2015 at 4:34am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolandoalphonso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 1:27pm
Thanks so much for advice and insights.

I'm in Norway and the venues we play vary from proper power installations to rather poor ones, where we even used to have generators outside for sub back up. Used to own a ffa 10k and that suffered a bit (clipping early) with poor power but performed great once well powered. But I do like the heavyweight amps over the lights...considering everything then I overstand that the void solution would be a The more versatile option

They don't produce the 8mk2 anymore or am I wrong? how is the second hand market? Are they easy to get in the UK?

The scoops and the turbo's I just bought second hand recently and the turbo's are not really my first choice, and planning to sell them after the summer once we been up and running a while. The boxes I'll hold on to. What would be the best drivers for a happy marriage with my cows?

mooreb View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooreb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 7:16am
PD1850s
FB LS AUDIO SYSTEMS
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:03am
Originally posted by mooreb mooreb wrote:

PD1850s

1850 is not the best driver in all Scoops, bruv.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12