Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pd121 a bit too weak in my 4 way system ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 9:30pm
i've never had those drivers but 2 x 12" hornloaded mids should keep up with 2 hogs and a usb quite easily
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 3:11am
i agree that the 12" wont be the weak point in this system by any means, but i would try a different 12" anyways. PD121 is really old now, and not that much but at least some progress has been made in driver production over the time.
Id look at 12ndl76, 12fw76 for example.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 12:03pm
hey

Another example I have looked at for exactly this use, in an MT130, is the 18 Sound  12MB1000. 

It has almost the exact same t/s specs as the PD121 from memory so should be pretty much a drop in replacement, except that instead of being  300w at 99db,  its 600w at 102db! Big smile

Don't know of anyone who has used it so couldn't comment first hand on the sound, but at least on paper seems a very good alternative to get both a bit more sensitivity and power out of your mid range if you feel you need it. 

k
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 1:10pm
There seem to be 2 camps here:
1) What you have is good enough, just set it up better.
2) The mid horn / driver isn't optimal and you could do better.

I think I'm with number 1. I think PD121 is still a good driver and MT130 should be plenty loud.

Can you find someone local with phase alignment equipment? I agree with King David that for what you have there is no reason why you should need a bigger mid.

Don't test the champignon sound
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 1:55pm
no no no theres 3 camps here theres the 3rd camp who are saying he doesnt have enough bass [im one of them but only joking if hes happy with the low end im not going to tell him he has to get more if he doesnt need it lol]
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 12:22am
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

One of the problems on this site, is some people spend too much time theorising, as opposed to listening to speakers first, tuning,then making decisions.

Time to throw the books in the bin then....
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:03am

Check theory, read the manual, then string the set up, & try a few configs.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:23am
Theory is good to check you're in the right general area but you can only really tell when you do an actual test.

Back to the original topic, doing the maths to get the same SPL in every frequency band might seem like a good idea but there are a few things to consider in practice.

Firstly, you're likely to want more bass than mid-top so I'm not surprised that it's coming out higher than the mids.  Also, compression drivers are highly efficient but you don't want to be running them flat out, headroom is definitely a good thing here.  Clipping/limiting at HF is particularly audible and potentially damaging to the drivers.

So my point is, I'm not surprised the mids are coming out with the lowest maximum SPL.  If you have the opportunity to upgrade to a really high-end 12" driver, it's certainly not a bad idea but your current configuration doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 8:13am
So, the horn adds nothing to the max SPL?
djk
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 7:57pm
Good point, I hadn't really noticed that he possibly appears to be just using the driver sensitivity rather than the drivers in the specified cabinets.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 8:01pm

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
raspix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raspix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 8:38pm
big mistake on my part didn't take the time to do this properly. Still, thanks for the insight concerning the 121s ! I'll post the build pics when all of it will be done.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12