FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

band pass sub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: band pass sub
    Posted: 05 September 2015 at 9:15pm
  Very nice!Clap
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2015 at 2:47pm
Took them out for a small chill room last weekend. The bass was so smooth an pretty. Just low as hell and comfortable. My amp power is used up well before any problems arise. Currently I am giving them something near 500 watts each.

I have a small main room gig coming up and have been working on stacking configs with the 1850s and my mid horns. This is what I have come up with for each side. Sure the 1850s would be subbier with all 4 together and ground loaded, but the BP6s are better than the 1850s for sub anyhow and it seems that in this config there is a natural drop off at 70hz for the 1850s, which sounds kinda nice instead of processing it out to transition to the subs. They are stacked upside down so that the solid panel on the front of the Band pass sub will act slightly like a horn extension following the path of expansion. ( <- That part is just a hypothesis).

I normally keep the treble on yokes but I think this works. The third level of the stack, where the mids and treble are, is just at my eyeball level, so I don't think I would angle it down much anyhow. The treble being up on top of the mids would allow the stack to have no ovehang, but it is too tall for the ceiling in some places.

Anyhow, the stack looks mean and the band passes fit pretty well as planned.

Edited by b grade - 05 September 2015 at 2:48pm
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2015 at 11:18am
Well done all sounds great
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2015 at 9:08am
Still have not had the perfect gig to really open these guys up but I used one of my subs and a pair of 10*1 on stands for a wedding I was doing. I ran it up until the amp ran out of steam. It was not ridiculously loud but with 500 watts a single 18 really put out a respectable bit of rich bass. Worked really well for every genre that played. When I played some bassy stuff they perk right up, but even for more traditonal sounds nothing sounded weird. When I knew the amp was close to clip I listened very closely to any hint of port noise. I heard nothing but clean bass. I was using the sub in band pass mode. I thought about running reflex for better fidelity sound, but I think I would have really needed two subs and transpo space was used up. 

I have tested with the band pass sub running straight to my mid horns (they are good to go down to 100 hz before there are xmax issues but they really have an F3 up around 170hz). It sort of works ok, but I miss the kicks without my 1850s horns. there is no use running these subs higher than 100hz. You are just making the driver work hard before the box eats everything but the standing waves. I like it 80hz or lower for the upper crossover. 60hz with the 1850s. The wedding 10*1s were just some yamaha bass reflex I usually use for DJ monitors. They run down to 65 according to spec. I used 75hz for the crossover.

Edited by b grade - 26 July 2015 at 9:15am
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 7:02am
Some clever ideas in them and excellent looking work overall. 
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 6:20am
I don't think I could patent it. There is no real invention happening. The layout/design is mine for sure, and I made it the way I wanted. I did not copy any piece of it, but really though, it is just a 6th order band pass sub. Everything I did, I did for a reason, but all of it is based on discoveries already made and best guesses with aid from common software simulations.

Sincerely appreciate all of the kind words.
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2015 at 9:34pm
dude they look awesome and spec well if i were you get a patent on that plan before they get cloned
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 3:50pm
Yeah, I played them pretty flipping loud for a couple minutes yesterday to listen for port noise. All I could hear was the frame of the house complaining. 

Seriously though, it is hard to really sound check in bursts because your ears have kind oa panic reaction in a closed space with sudden loudness.

Edited by b grade - 28 June 2015 at 3:50pm
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 11:35am
Nice effort, they look industrial. Be interesting to see how it goes when you take them out in anger.
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 9:34am
I picked the song because it clearly has a lowest note in the bassline just above 30hz. The HPF is at 30hz. The Low Pass is at around 80 I think for this test. For mid tops I am just using some yamaha 10inchers I usually use for DJ monitors.
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 9:29am
Still can't play them very loud for very long at my house, but here is a spectrum analysis playing some subby old school dnb. The listening environment is clearly terrible. Still, looking good on the RTA mic.
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 11:48pm
My gawd.... the heavinesss.... moved them to the basement by myself.... doable, but stupid as hell.

one man lift. Just lift that one man right up off the ground and take him to the morgue. He is dead for sure.

They weigh just a tiny bit less than my 1850s, but it is a dense weight, where the 1850s are top heavy so with leverage, they seem easier to move.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>