Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diagnosing speaker failure in Tham15?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 5:35pm
Have you looked at the voice coil yet? Post some photos so the experts can comment.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 5:40pm
... i would say stick 1000w into them for a few hours would keep the driver well outside its Xmax long enuff to rip the cone away from its comfort zone, so to speak.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

... i would say stick 1000w into them for a few hours would keep the driver well outside its Xmax long enuff to rip the cone away from its comfort zone, so to speak.
I'd say you're right.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 8:23am
I don't have the Hornresp model for the TH15, so I designed a 40hz TH with this P-Audio driver. At 56V input (about 400W), the cone excursion was over 10mm.

And the Crown is 1600W?

Does anyone see a problem here?
djk
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 8:47am
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

I don't have the Hornresp model for the TH15, so I designed a 40hz TH with this P-Audio driver. At 56V input (about 400W), the cone excursion was over 10mm.

And the Crown is 1600W?

Does anyone see a problem here?

The driver wasn't getting 1600w
2000w 4ohm bridged into a pair of drivers.

I appreciate you looking into this.
Maybe while you're at it you could sim it with the correct driver to see what transpires?
Also, here's the original Hornresp figures for the Tham 15
Sound Chippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sound Chippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 4:29pm
Hi Shortrope, sorry to hear of your shortcomings... we've all had times where we had to suck it up ......live and learn from different experiences.... What I can say if you go ahead and purchase the 1200w BMS 15S430V2 .... you my friend will find yaself with one huge whopping big smile on ya dial, possibly a wee bit of jizz in da pants, punters cutn shapes on da floor and the crabby worn out gumboot of a nxt neighbor avin a random cardiac if you unleash those BMS beast in your thams. :)
I got 6 of those BMS drivers in tapped horn that i built and I love them.  Peace
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Sound Chippy Sound Chippy wrote:

Hi Shortrope, sorry to hear of your shortcomings... we've all had times where we had to suck it up ......live and learn from different experiences.... What I can say if you go ahead and purchase the 1200w BMS 15S430V2 .... you my friend will find yaself with one huge whopping big smile on ya dial, possibly a wee bit of jizz in da pants, punters cutn shapes on da floor and the crabby worn out gumboot of a nxt neighbor avin a random cardiac if you unleash those BMS beast in your thams. :)
I got 6 of those BMS drivers in tapped horn that i built and I love them.  Peace

Wicked Sound Chippy....thanks for that!!
I have the new drivers installed and I'll fire em up over the weekend!!
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 6:50pm
Ok so this is interesting.
I've the drivers out, one is absolutely fine the other is a different story.
The Cone has gone all soft just after the dust cap, this pic is with me pushing the cone down and you can see where it's gone.
There is no rubbing from the voice coil nor any smell of burning.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 11:39pm
That damage is typical of over-excursion, the surround gets tight and the coil just keeps pushing on the cone when going forward. Eventually it gets soft, and then usually tears the coil off the cone at the soft point when pulling backwards. I've seen this dozens of times over the last 35+ years.

Your knowledge is so limited it is difficult to discuss anything with you.

Amplifiers have headroom.

The smaller the transformer, the more headroom they have.

On program material the Crown will put out peaks of over 1.6KW into each 8Ω driver, even though it is rated at 2000W 4Ω continuous.

Edited by _djk_ - 02 July 2015 at 11:41pm
djk
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 11:47pm
Also bear in mind that the MA2400 does not have any kind of clip limiter and the IOC lights are not necessarily obvious so it's very easy to drive them hard into clipping without realising (apart from the sound, which is again harder to tell on subs).
shaun1264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2015 at 12:19am
Would the high damping factor of those Crown Amps have anything to do with it?
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2015 at 6:26am
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

That damage is typical of over-excursion, the surround gets tight and the coil just keeps pushing on the cone when going forward. Eventually it gets soft, and then usually tears the coil off the cone at the soft point when pulling backwards. I've seen this dozens of times over the last 35+ years.

Your knowledge is so limited it is difficult to discuss anything with you.

Amplifiers have headroom.

The smaller the transformer, the more headroom they have.

On program material the Crown will put out peaks of over 1.6KW into each 8Ω driver, even though it is rated at 2000W 4Ω continuous.

Thanks for the info djk but why do you have to be so Feckin patronising?
Of course my knowledge is limited that's why I'm on here asking questions, isn't that what a large part of this forum is for??
You may've seen this dozens of times but I've never seen it before.
Your attitude is so irritating which is a shame as you no doubt have a lot of info to offer.

Edited by Shortrope - 03 July 2015 at 6:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>