Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ''Stuffing'' the box with auxiliary electronics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

''Stuffing'' the box with auxiliary electronics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rudeboy94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ''Stuffing'' the box with auxiliary electronics
    Posted: 07 July 2015 at 12:25pm
Finally I'm starting to build my system, finished the simulations on winISD, decided speakers, cabs and crossings, last thing that I still don't know is which other component goes into the cab i mean: cables to link the speaker, cable input to link the active crossover to the box and any other thing goes into it I may don't know? Anyone can help me with this? How do I choose the right tipe of cables ecc? 
Followin' the vibes
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 1:52pm
Your post is unclear. It sounds like you want to connect the outputs of your line-level speaker management/crossover directly to your loudspeakers?

Rudeboy94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rudeboy94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 3:00pm
Sorry english isn't my mother language. But that's the point, it's unclear because I don't exactly know what goes between the speaker and the controls.
Followin' the vibes
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Rudeboy94 Rudeboy94 wrote:

Sorry english isn't my mother language. But that's the point, it's unclear because I don't exactly know what goes between the speaker and the controls.

Hi, before you start spending any money on anything, could you post a list of components you are looking at using and also how you intend to use them. eg power amps, loudspeaker management system/crossovers, type of cabinets for the drivers, manufacturer and model of drive units/loudspeakers, HF wave guides/horns etc,also a list of equipment you already own and intend to use as part of the system, including quantities of the above and if at all possible, an approximate budget you have available for your build.
That way we can at least have a look at what needs to go where etc. 

Edited by fatfreddiescat - 07 July 2015 at 4:12pm
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 4:28pm
if its passive speakers then those you install on the speakers:
http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/3771-neutrik-nl4mp-4-pole-speakon-socket-faston.html
those are plugs that connect between your speakers and amplifiers:
http://cpc.farnell.com/neutrik/nl4fx/4-pole-speakon-plug/dp/AV09774
use H07 type cable (rubber insulation not pvc) in between.
depends how big speakers but 1.5/2.5 mm^2 normally does the job,. coils well when packing up.

between amplifiers and LMS/active crossover you will usually have XLR connectors and a shielded cable.

signal source (mixer) - LMS - Amplifier - Speaker

theres a good guide in here:
http://www.rane.com/digi-dic.html
have a look on cables and connectors section.
Rudeboy94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rudeboy94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by amlu amlu wrote:

if its passive speakers then those you install on the speakers:
http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/3771-neutrik-nl4mp-4-pole-speakon-socket-faston.html
those are plugs that connect between your speakers and amplifiers:
http://cpc.farnell.com/neutrik/nl4fx/4-pole-speakon-plug/dp/AV09774
use H07 type cable (rubber insulation not pvc) in between.
depends how big speakers but 1.5/2.5 mm^2 normally does the job,. coils well when packing up.

between amplifiers and LMS/active crossover you will usually have XLR connectors and a shielded cable.

signal source (mixer) - LMS - Amplifier - Speaker

theres a good guide in here:
http://www.rane.com/digi-dic.html
have a look on cables and connectors section.

Thank you!!
Followin' the vibes
Rudeboy94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rudeboy94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

Hi, before you start spending any money on anything, could you post a list of components you are looking at using and also how you intend to use them. eg power amps, loudspeaker management system/crossovers, type of cabinets for the drivers, manufacturer and model of drive units/loudspeakers, HF wave guides/horns etc,also a list of equipment you already own and intend to use as part of the system, including quantities of the above and if at all possible, an approximate budget you have available for your build.
That way we can at least have a look at what needs to go where etc. 

I still haven't spent neither 1 quid, the project is for a 3 way sound system with active crossovers using a Behringer Ultradrive Pro for the managing. The project will include:
2x super scooper mogale project holding the Eminence Omega Pro 18A ad they'll be crossed at 40-90hz,
for the kick bass I projected a dual 15'' vented Gsub that will hold 2x Eminence Kappa Pro 15'' and will be crossed at 90-180hz, then for the mid top I'm still looking for the right thing but probably will be something like  2x the XM 15 cab going 180-over hz with a passive crossover between the two type of speakers.
I still don't own any electronic item to build it, but I have good dexterity with carpentry and all the tools for wood cut ecc. Before spending money in this I'd like to understand everything I need, and one of these things is this.
Followin' the vibes
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 7:14pm
stay away from passive crossovers...not worth the money in burned HF drivers if not selected  properly.
you have 6 outs on the ultradrive, use 4 for mids and tops in stereo, remaining 2 for sub and kick in mono.
Rudeboy94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rudeboy94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by amlu amlu wrote:

stay away from passive crossovers...not worth the money in burned HF drivers if not selected  properly.
you have 6 outs on the ultradrive, use 4 for mids and tops in stereo, remaining 2 for sub and kick in mono.

Any recommendings about with HF driver to use for the scoop bins? So have I to link the speaker to the hf driver and the driver to the ultradrive? Still missing some dynamics I think...
Followin' the vibes
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 8:07pm
If going for the xm15 type box then you don't really need the complication of the G Sub - money better spent on a really good quality 15" drivers and either 1.4" or 2" compression driver and horn combo.
This will give you the possibility of a 3 way active setup with the DCX, no passive xover needed.

amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 9:05pm
you need amplifiers between speaker drivers and active  crossover!
small quality amp for tops  (like 100watts will do)
medium for mids (200-500watts depends what drivers you have)
and two bigger ones for kick and bass...

Rudeboy94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rudeboy94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2015 at 10:36am
Any recommendings for amp and compression drivers for each way of the project? 
Followin' the vibes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>