Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Setting DCX limiters, or going outboard?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2015 at 12:12pm
Is that correct??
I'll have a play with the input compressors on the dcx meantime..
I was on the brink of buying a cloud but then decided the dcx would do the job.. it sold for 50 quid and was working..
Typically now I've decided I need one all there are are overpriced ones lol
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2015 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Teunos Teunos wrote:

DCX limiters are indeed some of the worst in the business. super non-musical and even when set a fair few dB below clipping, burst signals sometimes still manage to get through.
This was one of three reasons i stepped away from them, even though it can be argues (like Shag properly points out) that trusting on output limiters is not always the cleverest thin to do.

Really? I've always found the dcx limiters to be quite transparent even when being driven pretty hard, and I use the output limiters on my dcx (and have done for years without a blown driver), what I do is set the threshold a couple of dbs below clip on the band that clips earliest and then set the threshold on all other bands to kick in at the same time so as to keep a balanced sound, that said though, I very rarely send a hot enough signal to the dcx to kick the limiters in anyway.
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2015 at 1:15pm
I'll get used to using the dcx limiters for now and get the next decently priced cloud cx335...

I have another question.
To double check my limiter settings is it safe to turn the gains up on the amps with the speakers disconnected to check that they won't clip?
I've always been careful not to turn up amp gains with no load attached but I guess the amps must be protected against this?
I've done it before with no ill effects but am never sure if it's truly safe to do?
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2015 at 1:17pm
That way I can be sure of my limiter calculations before giving the drivers any power and get any idea how far I can turn up my mixer before it overcomes the dcxs limiters...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123