Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Would love advice on buying battery powered PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeflegg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would love advice on buying battery powered PA
    Posted: 21 August 2015 at 11:20pm
Hi,
Hope I've posted this in the right place-

I'm looking to buy a pair of speakers which will run for at least 4-8 hrs on a battery and wondered if anyone here had any ideas?

My budget is £200-£500 depending how many boxes I can tick:

1. Loud enough to satisfy an indoor informal party with 150 people (2x 400 watt RMS?)
2. Low freq response (20hz ideally)
3. Portable if possible (would like to be able to move it on my own! hopefully has wheels)
4. Bluetooth would be great, definitely need to be able to mini jack in my phone/laptop somehow
5. Wireless mics (would be super handy for events) whether it comes with them or is simply compatible via bluetooth or radio. I guess I could potentially jack/RCA-to-radio them in?

Currently have http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skytec-SPJ-PA915-Active-Speaker-Wireless/dp/B00F19ITYO - this, which doesn't tick many of the boxes (does have Bluetooth, phono in, EQ, 3hr batt, only 50hz bass, very portable, only £210)

Thanks for any advice!
Luke
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2015 at 12:37am
3,4 and 5 can be an easy answer. Theres loads on the market!!

1 should be ok but not at "rave" levels.

2..... no hope, give that up rite now! 20hz for 4hrs on a battery powered rig. Just no. Aim for 60ish.

Edited by mini-mad - 22 August 2015 at 12:38am
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2015 at 12:56am
How many concert sized PA systems do 20hz?
lukeflegg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeflegg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2015 at 1:56am
Thanks for your help so far,
is it definitely impossible/difficult to find battery powered speakers able to do 20hz?

This is a little speaker that I thought I could potentially get a pair of:
http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/SubZero-50W-Portable-Rechargeable-PA-System-with-Wireless-Mic/UUC

not sure if that'd hold the attention of a small crowd indoors though?

I thought 20hz was fairly common! I guess more for earphones/headphones..

Edited by lukeflegg - 22 August 2015 at 1:57am
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2015 at 10:00am
To really hit 20Hz - start thinking something along the lines of :-

At least 1 (if not 2) Luton truck(s).
A tonne or so of lead-acid batteries.
A whole clutch of (very) large mouth horn bass cabs. Ones you can stand inside.
A crew of 6-10
Some kind of hoist/crane arrangement.
Some extreme car amplifiers - several 1000 quids worth.

Well - you _might_ conceivably get car sub drivers capable of disturbing air around 20Hz - would likely sound like MWWWBMWWWWWW mush at one frequency the whole time. And you'd need LOTS of em

That box you linked to ..... probably fine for speeches etc at a 150 peeps wedding/birthday party or some such - and mebbe a bit of background muzak - but no more.
The frequency response they quote will be (believably) for the amplifier - NOT the whole hting.

Edited by slaz - 22 August 2015 at 10:01am
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2015 at 10:50am
Originally posted by lukeflegg lukeflegg wrote:

Hi,
Hope I've posted this in the right place-

I'm looking to buy a pair of speakers which will run for at least 4-8 hrs on a battery and wondered if anyone here had any ideas?

My budget is £200-£500 depending how many boxes I can tick:

2. Low freq response (20hz ideally)

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

For decent 20Hz response, you´d need something like this:

Why do you want batteries? There are plenty of small powered speakers with bluetooth and radio mics out there that run off mains. Just get a small generator to power them.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2015 at 11:35am
I've got a Monacor txa 802cd, ace little system with a good sound reproduction really portable and tuff

Sure gives us a shout if it's something you might be interested in
lukeflegg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeflegg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2015 at 9:51pm
I'm so confused!

Your speaker looks nice (though possibly just put my price range?) but it's advertised at a rubbish sounding 70hz as it's lowest frequency! My cheaper Skytec is advertised at *supposedly* 50hz, and its apparently 700w RMS. Is Amazon lying/confused? Or do these numbers just mean nothing??
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2015 at 10:02pm
any thing with skytec writern on it is lies. plain and simple. QTX, "hollywood" and one or two others, its all just false advertising....... sorry pal. i know they shouldnt be aloud to get away with it but they do!

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2015 at 3:23am
Honestly speaking, for your budget you won't find anything to fit your bill. Doing bass on battery power is possible but it'll be huge, heavy and expensive and that's for something that goes down to say 60-50hz. Think at least 10x your budget.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2015 at 1:03pm
I repeat - buy a generator! Batteries for anything more than a couple of hours will be heavy and expensive.

"any thing with skytec written on it is lies. plain and simple"

Definitely. One of the most important things in audio is recognising the BS!

EDIT: Almost as important as recognising good advice and acting on it!  Tongue

Edited by Earplug - 23 August 2015 at 1:05pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2015 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by lukeflegg lukeflegg wrote:

I'm so confused!

Your speaker looks nice (though possibly just put my price range?) but it's advertised at a rubbish sounding 70hz as it's lowest frequency! My cheaper Skytec is advertised at *supposedly* 50hz, and its apparently 700w RMS. Is Amazon lying/confused? Or do these numbers just mean nothing??

My email address is in my profile send me a email and I'll get back to you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>