Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

184 Sub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveGreasley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 184 Sub
    Posted: 03 September 2015 at 12:00am
I am thinking of building a pair of 184 subs loaded with the recommended PD 184 drivers.

Out of interest I have been trying to model the 184 sub in WinISD to help me compare the drivers. I have added a new driver to WinISD using the T/S parameters from  http://www.precision-devices.com/Product-Details/PD184 - http://www.precision-devices.com/Product-Details/PD184 and created a 6th order bandpass project using the new driver.

I have set the rear chamber volume to 165L and the front chamber volume to 57.75L. I have then adjusted the tuning frequencies of each chamber so that the resulting vent length matches what's on the design (rear: 27.95Hz, front: 75.91Hz). 

The resulting SPL plot (1w / 1m) looks quite different to the one on the design though ( http://i.imgur.com/td9dXEd.png - http://i.imgur.com/td9dXEd.png). This seems to show that the PD 184 in this box design has less SPL output than in a simple sealed box! This surely can't be right and I'm assuming I have done something wrong somewhere!

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I may have gone wrong? Here is a link to the WinISD project file I have created (http://www.filedropper.com/184sub-pd184). 

Any help at all would be appreciated!
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2015 at 12:03am
Are PD'S published data figures the same as when the box was originally designed? They may of changed by now?
DaveGreasley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveGreasley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2015 at 10:29pm
Thanks for the reply. That is a good point. I'll see if I can get an answer out of PD.

Any other ideas still welcome :)
sammmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2015 at 10:38am
Any idea, if Void v18-1000 driver will work well in "184 sub"?

I have a chance to buy such driver cheap, and plan is to build some pretty compact box for it. This box seems to be perfect for my purposes by specs.

Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2015 at 11:22am
V18-1000 is amongst the top rated drivers for the X1 bandpass. I'd probably build that one instead if I had that driver.
Don't test the champignon sound
sammmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2015 at 12:22pm
Meat: Yes I know LOL, I have thought that too. It would be the best option, but X1's box is too big(deep) for my installation.

Now I want to know if Void-driver will work in 184-sub, it is also bandpass anyway, and 184-box will fit that place I planned...

Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2015 at 1:18pm
Did you see the 'Letterbox X1'? The box is slightly reconfigured and that might suit you better although I think it might be just as deep (not sure from the top of my head).

Sure, it'll work it's a brute and you won't kill it. They are quite different drivers though. Probably won't sound as clean as the intended driver as the cone is much heavier. I gather one of the good things about the 184 sub is that it's actually quite 'fast' for a BP6 sub. Part of that comes from the fact that PD184 has a relatively light cone.
Don't test the champignon sound
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2015 at 11:52pm
there's some letterbox X1s on ebay. i think it's a forum member, twiggy, selling them. if you search ebay for turbosound, you'll find them..
sammmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2016 at 8:10am
I also have done some tests with WinISD...
If I managed to put everythin right, with current parameters given for PD drivers (184 and 186/2), the PD 186/2 driver shows better values in WinISD than 184. Lower response / higher spl... Could this be correct?

btw: DaveGreasley did you get any response from PD, as commented earlier this topic?

Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2016 at 8:02pm
The PD.184 is being phased out and replaced with the new PD.184C01

I would recommend basing any future design plans around the new driver, as there is no guarantee the PD.184 will be available much longer (in fact technically it's already discontinued)

just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
bruce@bluff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruce@bluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2016 at 5:24am
I built a pair and loaded them with P-Audio IMF series 18. Sold them to a club the owner was happy then again it was a small club only 60 peeps max 
DaveGreasley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveGreasley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2016 at 7:07pm
@sammmy I didn't get any response from PD regarding a change in spec. 

In many ways though I would have thought that any major changes in the driver's design would result in a new product code (as with PD.184C01). 

I'd be interested to try older versions of WinISD and see if they produce different results to the latest version...
 Post Reply Post Reply