Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback wanted for a new LMS / DSP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2015 at 3:58am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

WAIT!!!!! hold the fone!!!!
A full matrix type LMS with inputs being able to change to outputs and vise versa?????? Fir around £600????????

------------>>>>GAME CHANGER!!!<<<<--------------

start a queue boys!!!!!!

Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

For around that price and that sort of use you would have a very strong product with a queue of companys wanting OEM boxes with THEIR names on them!!! You would change the face of 1U audio managment from here on in!!!

I will sell my wife for one!.

Sorry, it doesn't work like that and my bad, I should have been more specific. 
It's not because a product will cost twice the price to build that it will cost twice to the end-user ! In fact, if I had to make such product, it will be sold for maybe $1500 street. 
Why so much difference ?
Because you have to take into account the TAM (Total Available Market), the old school pyramid scheme, and the ROI (Return On Investment). In this case, the TAM will be so much smaller (80% of users don't care about swapping ins and outs), your product moves up significantly in the pyramid scheme (thus limiting your sales number) and you will take much longer to make any profit. 
Other factor is development time. As I said earlier, thanks to the availability of these next generation parts, the opportunity to shake up the market is now, not 6 months later. Thus the window to make an impression and rapidly win market share is limited (competitors are not stupid, they also monitor technology progress). 
That's the sad and pragmatic truth of business where everything is about to find the sweet spot between these factors and if you want to be successful, you have to make some cuts, especially when  your own money is on the scale (FYI to put such product in the market, its a $300,000 USD investment and I must sell 2000 units the first year to break even)
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2015 at 6:25am
I secretly have this feeling you are promosing way too much features to be included right now arthur.
Do you have any idea what the practical inplications are if you want to playback wven an mp3 realtime over the same rj45 as you are transporting all of your control data?
This all sounds very nice but just focus on the main things first, make sure your hardware has some headroom such that if you decide to upgrade in whatever way possible, it can be easily done.
Id rather have perfectly working proxessor power with variable q allpass filters (1-10) then some music playback function which takes away so much data transfer speed or delay that its unpractical to work on.
I get it that you are listening for ideas on here, but sont maje it too much.
Especially since your timeline for hardware development and software development seems pretty short. I.e. I work for an electronics manufacturer and if you are still taking in requests and want to have it all finished in under 1.5 months you shrank our r&d time for such a project by at least a factor two, and we are a 1000 person company with 600 in r&d of whom 30 would be working on this simultaneously.
Not saying it cant be done, but stay realistic and focus on the most important stuff first.
Best regards,
Teun.
ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2015 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Teunos Teunos wrote:

I secretly have this feeling you are promosing way too much features to be included right now arthur.
Do you have any idea what the practical inplications are if you want to playback wven an mp3 realtime over the same rj45 as you are transporting all of your control data?
This all sounds very nice but just focus on the main things first, make sure your hardware has some headroom such that if you decide to upgrade in whatever way possible, it can be easily done.
Id rather have perfectly working proxessor power with variable q allpass filters (1-10) then some music playback function which takes away so much data transfer speed or delay that its unpractical to work on.
I get it that you are listening for ideas on here, but sont maje it too much.
Especially since your timeline for hardware development and software development seems pretty short. I.e. I work for an electronics manufacturer and if you are still taking in requests and want to have it all finished in under 1.5 months you shrank our r&d time for such a project by at least a factor two, and we are a 1000 person company with 600 in r&d of whom 30 would be working on this simultaneously.
Not saying it cant be done, but stay realistic and focus on the most important stuff first.
Teunos,
Thanks for your advice. You are very right Thumbs Up

To give a bit of background on this project, this product is not made from scratch. The software is already working for many years. I can even say more, the same DSP core and software are in the market since last year in commercial products that you can buy (but sorry, cannot say because of OEM NDA). 
MP3 is already working (using the library provided by the MCU manufacturer). And yes the MCU has lot of processing power left. This is 300MIPs model where MP3 only consume 30MIPS Smile 

All in one, its a project that is on the pipe for looooong but it was never the right time to bring it public...

Edited by ArthurG - 06 October 2015 at 11:58am
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2015 at 12:09pm
Well in that case all i can say is crack on with it.
I will be happy to test it and give it a full rundown if i can find the time to when it will be publically available.

Best regards,
Teun.
ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2015 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by ArthurG ArthurG wrote:

And yes the MCU has lot of processing power left. This is 300MIPs model where MP3 only consume 30MIPS Smile 
Auto-quote to show how things are going fast in the semiconductor world.
At same price, 6 months ago, from same supplier, the best you could get was a 100MIPS (million instruction per second) MCU using MIPS32 M4K core running at 80MHz and working only on integers. Now, you have a 300MIPS M-class core (Warrior generation) running at 200MHz with floating point unit co-processor and a SIMD DSP with 4 64-bit accumulators. On the old model, decoding an MP3 stream with the full network stack takes nearly all your memory and processing power, so it was dangerous to do it on production. With the new one, its a piece of cake that don't even take 30% of the available resources...
And the DSP side, its even more incredible. We can do more than 350 IIR bi-quad filters at 48kHz / 64bit double floating point precision on the new model where the previous one was full at around 60 filters with 56-bit precision  !!! 6 times the performance for $3 more... Shocked

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2015 at 2:50pm
The more I read, the better this sounds. The only thing I would add is - as some have noted above - allowing basic changes to crossover points, eq, limiting, etc., etc. to be made from the front panel. It´s a bit of a pita to have to get out the laptop to make a few small changes and lot of times you just don´t have the time to mess about when setting up at a gig.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
gorgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2015 at 8:18pm
This sounds like it is going to be an excellent product at a very competitive price point, however I have to agree about the comments regarding the front panel use.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2015 at 4:08pm
Arthur, any final decisions made yet on features?
Quite interested..
ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2015 at 7:55am
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

Arthur, any final decisions made yet on features?
Quite interested..
hardware is frozen, development team works very hard to catch our schedule. I will give some news on next milestone...
Ody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 9:39pm
Hi Arthur Any news/progress on your dsp project?
AlmostSalty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2016 at 8:47am
 Cool Whats new?? 

fafaboy92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fafaboy92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 2:02pm
More than 4 months and no news...
Really want to try this new DSP (and buy a lot of them Tongue)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>