Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bose B1200

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJS-90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bose B1200
    Posted: 19 October 2015 at 3:05pm
Hello!

So I'm no expert with amplifiers hence this post.

I work for an IT recycling company and we've just had 2 x Bose B1200 amplifiers arrive.

I have a small PA setup myself so I used my speakers/mixer to plug everything in to test.

Now, when I test them:

1 x amplifier appears to be set up just for bass bins (as there is absolutely no treble, just punchy bass & a little bit of mid that comes out of my speaker)

1 x amplifier appears to be set up just for tops (there's literally no bass at all, only mid & treble).

This test was done with the same cables, same song (just playing from my phone) and speaker (only 1 plugged in). It's also the same with both channel inputs/outputs on each amplifier.

My question is: Were they like this from the factory?... because apart from a couple of small yellow stickers, there is visibly no difference between the amplifiers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Chris.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2015 at 3:26pm
doesn't sound right.

these amps are MC2 made, think T1000.

what is the speaker you're using to test? there's no way it's a biamped speaker and you're somehow connecting to one set of pins and then the other? not using the middle out of the amp, just a / b?

those amps don't have any filter, so there's a problem somewhere.

check your speaker lead is 2 core, check it's joining pins +/-1 at each end on the speakon.
James Cotton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Cotton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2015 at 4:32pm
Googling around it looks like there were filter cards available for these amps, maybe yours has them installed.

Looking at this ebay ad.....

There's a sticker on the back showing a 402 eq card installed on the A channel.
Any sign of stickers like these on your amps?

Not sure if the eq cards just applied a little eq to fix the Bose sound or if they were a full crossover card but it's worth a look.
Maybe whip the lids off and see if the cards are there?
CJS-90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJS-90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2015 at 1:36pm
To update this

I've just opened them up. One of them that appears to only provide lows looks to have a "Panaray MB/02" card, and the one that provides mides & highs has a "MA12 II Stacked" in there.

Does that mean anything to anybody on there? Google doesn't bring up much.
CJS-90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJS-90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2015 at 1:37pm
I thought I'd also add, I contacted Bose themselves and they didn't really give me much information. I just got passed around and given a few email addresses who never really gave me a clear answer, but kept forwarding to other people in different departments.

Thanks
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2015 at 11:08pm
Iirc pull the cards out and you will have full range amps back again. There may be jumper links I'm not remembering - a photo would help
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2015 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by CJS-90 CJS-90 wrote:

To update this

I've just opened them up. One of them that appears to only provide lows looks to have a "Panaray MB/02" card, and the one that provides mides & highs has a "MA12 II Stacked" in there.

Does that mean anything to anybody on there? Google doesn't bring up much.

The Panaray MB4 and MA12 are install components of a column array speaker system they have, I expect the crossover would be around 250-300hz. As suggested just pull the cards out and see if the amp passes fullrange audio, if not you may have to fabricate some jumpers to complete the circuits.
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2015 at 11:23am
Put up a photo of the inside of the amplifier and a few pics close up of the input cards.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2015 at 12:20pm
i`ve had one of these amps years ago, also fitted with some PIP cards, if i remember correctly its really as easy as suggested, take the cards out and possibly switch a DIP..
(not sure on the DIP, once opened you will see it or not, its been a while since i had mine open)
Natedub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natedub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2015 at 8:01pm
The Bose B1200 is a hybrid of the mc2 t1000 with the t1500 transformer. The crossover cards can be removed easily as suggested, cant remember the exact details but I contacted Mc2 at the time for help and they were very helpful.
 Post Reply Post Reply