Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VZ5000 problem 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2015 at 10:37pm
Yea, i am getting 11.5 VDC from that channel, with the positive from the negative output on the amp.
I guess the clicking in and out is the protection circuitry  working?
It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it!
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2015 at 11:44am
More than sure!
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2015 at 3:52pm
don't connect your speakers again until it's fixed. If you need to use the amp in an emergency, remove the main fuse for the faulty channel.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

vmh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2015 at 6:12pm
I won't be using it for a while. I was planning on building some new speakers before doing another night but it looks like that will have to be put on hold until the VZ is fixed.
I need to weigh up my options. Wether it is better to try to get it fixed here or send it back to the UK.
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 7:16am
Try to replace the output modules between them, if the trouble goes into the other channel, the fault is sure on the output module, and is a point where to start the fix. Modules are compatible between it. Pay great attention to rotate it 180 degrees reversed (cannot fit directly) also output screws too. Be gentle with output cooper foils between modules and binding post part, are very sensitive!

Edited by DjLeco - 30 November 2015 at 9:24am
vmh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 7:26pm
Ok That's an idea. I can try that first.
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 8:43pm
We wait for results!
vmh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 6:56pm
ASAP. ;-)
vmh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2015 at 12:02am
Yep.
When i swapped the output modules over the problem swapped to the other side.
I don't have the tool to test the transistors for leakage only a multimeter but i guess if i take the modules to any radio repair shop they should be able to test them? And also the rest of the circuitry.
vmh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2016 at 11:04pm
Update for anyone interested.

Well i took the offending OS module to a local electronics repair shop who took one look and said no, there is no one in the town who can fix it!!
So i went and asked the PA hire shop who directed me to a computer repair shop of all places.
They said they could fix it but needed the whole amp. As we know the problem is in the OS module due to the problem swapping sides when i swap the modules over i left the module with them.
Three weeks later they returned it saying they had tested it and found nothing wrong!
As i understand it the Transistors cant be tested in situ and have to be individually removed and tested. They have not been removed so i am back to square one.
This is the problems you get with 'professionals' in Portugal
I have now removed the transistors myself as a friend has a multi meter with a transistor testing setting.
I guess this only tests the values though not leakage but it is a step forward.
It has also been suggested that i replace the transistors anyway as even if one is gone they all need to be replaced due to them being matched but i'm not keen on doing that until i know for sure that it is the transistors that is the problem.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2016 at 12:08pm
you need to find someone who knows what they are doing
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2016 at 3:24pm
You are playing a very dangerous game if you don't know what your doing. The problem could become much worse and the amplifier damaged more seriously in a matter of seconds. Please send it to an expert even if it means sending it away for repair on a pallet to the UK. kedwardsleisure is one such expert.

Edited by Pinyorouk - 28 January 2016 at 3:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>