Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DAS Action 215 speakers fuse bulbs blowing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2015 at 11:15pm
I've heard that cab before and the 1" can keep up with the 15"s. There's plenty of dual 15 cabs out there with 1" drivers, including the much loved JRX125s.

I would say have a close look at the crossovers and make sure no ones does a bodged repair and changed the output of the HF.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 12:20am
Bulbs in crossovers.. Is this the 90's?

1. Get builder to make you copies of cab but for ME60 2" horns.

2. Get some Beyma 2" Comps, horns.

3. Bi amp cab using separate amps & LMS, no passive xovers.

4. Leave mediocrity behind.

Edited by levyte357- - 30 November 2015 at 12:21am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 9:09am
"4. Leave mediocrity behind."

LOL Clap LOL

As I said before - you´re expecting too much from that 1" comp driver. Replace or add some more top-end boxes.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 9:51am
Originally posted by SamV SamV wrote:

I've heard that cab before and the 1" can keep up with the 15"s. There's plenty of dual 15 cabs out there with 1" drivers, including the much loved JRX125s.

In many circumstances, yes, the 1" will keep up with the 15s.

BUT,  in this instance there are subs added, so the dual 15s arent running full range. I would imagine a 1" comp would keep up in this cab if used full range.

I can see a 50W comp wouldnt always be able to keep up.

For compressed audio off a CD, probably yes.

For live music with a much higher dynamics, probably no.

If as has been  mentioned, the engineer is finding a need to boost the top end, there is probably just a little too much power going up there, not a lot, but enough for the lamps to pop occasionally, and ultimately kill the diaphragms.

Ive known diaphragms to die from an idiot shouting into a microphone on what is otherwise a completely acceptable PA sytem.

Edited by Andy Kos - 30 November 2015 at 9:52am
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
Mystery.tipster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mystery.tipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 6:05pm
Andy you say we may not have enough headroom do you mean the speakers or the amp? The speakers are 700w RMS and amp sends out 760w per channel
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 6:14pm
Amp ideally should be around 1.5 rms rating of driver for headroom
You can't polish a turd!
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Mystery.tipster Mystery.tipster wrote:

Andy you say we may not have enough headroom do you mean the speakers or the amp? The speakers are 700w RMS and amp sends out 760w per channel

Both.

The amp should be bigger than the speakers, (different people have different ideas on this, but 1.5 x is not a bad starting point) but also the speakers need to be able to handle the dynamics in the program material.

Adding subs to the system will bias the power handling towards the low end quite significantly, from your description you have ample there.

My guess is your comp drivers are only just able to keep up with the rest of the system (hence the crossover bulbs popping) - so not much headroom here.

Also, your amp could easily drive to clip, so no headroom there.

Without seeing exactly what you do and how you do it, it's impossible to be sure whats going on, but does to me seem mostly like you dont quite have enough.

Mystery.tipster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mystery.tipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 9:18pm
Hmmm this makes me think, if we are using the crossover to send above 150hz to the full range DAS 215's which has 2 x 15 bass loud speakers with the 1" horn are we in fact sending too much highs by doing this as you said? Are we better off not using the crossover and/or not using the separate 18"DAS bass bins as well so just running the Peavey CS2000 set to default straight into the DAS 215 with a full range signal?
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Mystery.tipster Mystery.tipster wrote:

Hmmm this makes me think, if we are using the crossover to send above 150hz to the full range DAS 215's which has 2 x 15 bass loud speakers with the 1" horn are we in fact sending too much highs by doing this as you said?

No...

you're just shifting the balance of power a little to make your system bottom heavy

then your HF cant keep up.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 11:33pm
Bottom line is that on a system with bass bins and twin 15" midrange, a 1" compression driver, especially not what is likely to be a cheap one, will not keep up and definitely not with live music.

A 1" driver with a single 15" is a massive compromise, with a twin 15" it really doesn't work except for what I'd call 'low end mobile disco'!

So unfortunately the only real solution is to beef up the HF.

I've taken the liberty of downloading the CAD drawings from the DAS website which rather helpfully give accurate dimensions so I can tell you that you'd be able to replace the HF horn with a wide variety of 1.4" exit versions.

These aren't the cheapest option but most likely to drop in without any woodwork:

Add a pair of these which Andy is currently doing for silly money:
Or choose something slightly more expensive if you prefer!

The current crossover might not be ideal for the new compression driver and horn combo but that could be rectified too if necessary.

There are various options anyway.

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by SamV SamV wrote:

I would say have a close look at the crossovers and make sure no ones does a bodged repair and changed the output of the HF.

Everybody I've seen mention those cabs or the 115's has blown the HF and replaced it with something else, usually a BMS!
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 2:02am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Add a pair of these which Andy is currently doing for silly money:

Umm, nobody will be adding these from Andy, for a while, as I've just snapped up the last 2x...

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>