Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - FANE loudspeaker enclosure design and construction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FANE loudspeaker enclosure design and construction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 1:40pm
I found a copy of the book on my hard disk drive - downloaded in 2008!
I have placed it on Sendspace here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/62ezi5
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
freelanceav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freelanceav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:37pm
Thank you, Jazomir.

The design I'm looking for is not in there.

I emailed FANE this morning and will post it here if I receive anything meaningful.

regards, William.
space141 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 6:40pm
Hello,

Thought I might chip in my part as I keep getting e-mails regarding this thread as I started it.

Have you considered that maybe the cabs that you have perhaps were never 'released' as an official cab design and your contact in Fane might just have come up with the design, making a slight alteration to this martin audio design which I have just come across which looks remarkably similar.

This looks remarkably similar although just with the addition of a wooden plate over the centre piece. It is a little hard to tell from the photo you had uploaded initially but it looks like there is a small gap at the top and bottom of this 'plate' that means that the drivers are not covered completely i.e. sealed, so there are the four vents in the corners for the rear 'compression' and then the sound from the front of the drivers is muffled by this 'plate' so that they are still free to move but most of the sound is being created through the resonance in the box...

This is all a bit of wild guesswork but B&C also seem to have a very similar 15" cab called the s15an (http://en.toutlehautparleur.com/media/catalog/product/cache/15/small_image/350x/83c81cb12951c377c40d0aa648fb33fd/k/-/k-s18bn.jpg) which if doubled up and a face plate added would essentially be very similar to what you're looking for..?

Always enjoy the excitement of tracking down or figuring out the origin of certain designs.

Thomas.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freelanceav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 7:04pm
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for that. Yes, it looks very similar indeed, except that my bins are only vented in the corners and not in the middle as the design you posted. You are correct, the bins I have are not sealed completely. There are in fact vents to the side of each of the face-plates.

At the time we built these, we were impressed with their performance and they have been sitting in storage for around 17 years, apart from a little event 3 years ago, that sparked the idea that they really should be heard more often.

I'm planning a full hardware revamp ... recessed corners, black custom handles, new speakon plates, etc.

Do you have more info / documentation / designs for this speaker?

Regards, William.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 7:15pm
I've just had another look at the photo and the subs appear to be a 6th order bandpass design, the front 'Wooden Plate' is in fact the small chamber and the two slots are the front chamber ports, the 4 triangular ports are for the larger rear chamber.

William, the eminence book I have will need to be scanned in (and my scanner is down at the moment) as it is a physical book and not a PDF.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Biggus Biggus wrote:

They remind me of a bigger version of the Tannoy T40 - however looking closely there not.

That's what I thought... at first. I can remember seeing these cabs in the early 90's and I'm sure they where a Wharfedale cab.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freelanceav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 9:25pm
djeddie, thank you for jogging my memory! You are correct, they are Wharfedale designs and we used the FANE 15XB drivers, since that was what was recommended. The drivers were rated at 600W at the time. The latest versions are rated at 800W, I believe.

I thought these designs were given to me by someone at FANE, but looking into it further, it was in fact Wharfedale.

The lines around FANE and Wharfedale are somewhat blurred in my view. Is there a connection? I though there is/was, but that was just speculation on my part.

I wonder how I would go about getting the designs from Wharfedale ...

Edited by freelanceav - 21 April 2017 at 9:48am
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 9:41pm
Wharfdale and Fane were for a while under the same roof, I saw their prototype system when I took some cabs to the factory for testing, the drivers iirc were 15xb's in their cabs and they are 6th order bandpass.
They were sold with an electronic processor which shouldn't be hard to replicate with a dsp. I can't see it taking much effort to measure them up to replicate.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freelanceav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 9:46pm
No, it would not be hard, but I was hoping to start with a 'fresh' version. Reverse engineering them would be a bit like taking a photo-copy of a photo-copy. I may well end up doing that though.

You are correct with regards to the DSP. We have used them with various processors and the results were excellent.
thedjelectron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thedjelectron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2023 at 3:14pm
Old thread, I know... I wanted to keep this manual alive.

It seems that BB Code isn't working in the forum, so here is the copy/paste link to the Fane Loudspeaker Enclosure Design and Construction pdf.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2uuhjwkbialnj6o/Fane%20Loudspeaker%20Enclosure%20Design%20and%20Construction.pdf?dl=0

We are bringing some EV MTL-4B cabinets back to life with new B&C drivers for one of my projects. I'd love to embed that here as well...

Oh well, here's a link instead: https://www.dropbox.com/s/99ljdc4yvvmlvgn/MTL-4B%20Photo.jpg?dl=0

Edited by thedjelectron - 29 March 2023 at 3:50pm
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2023 at 4:57pm
Thanks for the link to the Fane book.

Brings back some memories, as used this book for my first builds many years ago.

Lots of good info in there as well.
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2023 at 7:51pm
I bought the fane and eminence books when i was a school boy many moons ago. Wish i still had them
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>