Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V baffle question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Versatile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V baffle question
    Posted: 11 April 2016 at 1:31pm
Hi Guys, Mid way through one project and I figured it was about time to start another! My question is, when making a reflex box with a v baffle, whatever volume I take out of the box with the "V" will i have to make up that by adding to the width and/or height of the box to get the desired response.

I assume the answer is yes.

They will be used for bass only up to appx 170z.

Thanks in advance!
If you are the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room....
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2016 at 1:48pm
Do you think you might be able to deduce the answer to this question on your own?
Best regards,
Teun.
DJ-Versatile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Versatile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2016 at 1:55pm
Embarrassed I'll get cracking then LOL
If you are the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room....
sn95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sn95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2016 at 11:41pm
The answer is yes you have to make up for the V
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2016 at 12:19am
and for any bracing, box handles ect, O and driver....
https://www.elements-audio.com
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2016 at 12:21am
So what are the benefits of approaching the design in this way ?
I have A twin 18" made by 'Mach ' ... It utilises nice Beyma drivers and the cabinet is decent but don't really get the v baffle !

Infact Iv reversed one of the drivers , making the volume a little bigger and hoping to get some distortion cancelling through the push pull arrangement !

I think it sounds better this way but I think it's because of the extra volume !

I don't think your getting any distortion cancelling like a proper push pull design as the drivers are on a shallow angle v baffle rather than parallel to each other but i could be wrong !

Also the horn effect would be irrelivent on the v baffle as it would work out of band !

Mayb some
Band pass gain with a v baffle ??
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2016 at 6:21am
The only real benefit of a v baffle is decreased cab size IMHO
You can't polish a turd!
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2016 at 7:42am
Not true. The added benefit of having a V alignment is you can shrink the frontal area. If you really want that double 15 or double 18 to fit the same width as the rest of the stack, and you can accomplish it by a V baffle and an increased depth, then maybe that can be worth the increase in overall cab size.

As per acoustic value, there is none whatsoever in the frequencies below 150Hz.
Best regards,
Teun.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2016 at 8:55am
Also you can mount them in push pull mode which will decrease non linear distortion in the loudspeakers.
Best regards,
Teun.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2016 at 11:39am
the down side is the v baffle will give you a dip in response, your need to play around to get the dip out of the frequency range you need the box to play..
https://www.elements-audio.com
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2016 at 11:41am
V-baffles exhibit an (approximately) 1/4 wavelength resonance. Make it deep enough and it will add around 5-6 db around the crossover.

Johan
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2016 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

V-baffles exhibit an (approximately) 1/4 wavelength resonance. Make it deep enough and it will add around 5-6 db around the crossover.

Johan
and introduce group delay you dont want at that specific region.....
Best regards,
Teun.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>