Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10kW ultra-compact rig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
londonavc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonavc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10kW ultra-compact rig
    Posted: 17 April 2016 at 10:29am
Well done Clive.
P - Audio smashing drivers....
Clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2016 at 9:56pm
What would I change? Nothing at the moment, if I can't pick it up or push it myself it's too big for me, I often go out on my own with half the rig. 
I could use more expensive drivers, JBL horns etc. but how many people would notice? P Audio seem to be making impressive drivers for very few bucks at the moment.
Oh yes! .. neodymium drivers would be nice!
Lets see how well it lasts... the top cabs have done 15 months service now!
Clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2016 at 9:39pm
Hi
Top cabs are home made to fit closely around the 12" drivers. There's reasonable volume in there, if you do the calcs, they work well enough as full range cabs.
There's Eminence Kappa Pro's and Fane Sovereigns in the 4 top cabs with Pyle Pro (300W AES) 1.4" HF driver into 12" P Audio horns. Total AES rating is 1300W on the tops.
Bass cabs are 2x Turbomax and 2 home made exact copies, all birch ply. Turbomax only make drivers now but these are excellent small cabs! The 600W 18" Colossus drivers were upgraded to 1.7kW P Audio SD18-1700EL Mk2. The cabs are similar to the ES18 BPH but with an extra fold in the horn and driver is forward facing.
All cabs run at 1200 Watts with the amps just flickering the red leds occasionally. They are crossed over at 150Hz (as high as possible to keep power down in the top cabs). 
The balance between tops and bottoms seems about right, they both red line around the same level while giving a decent amount of bass and a good sound balance. There are home made crossovers in the top cabs for the tweeters, all made from big, ready made inductors and high voltage caps from Farnell.
Mixer is the incredibly underrated AW4416, which can record 16 tracks for the whole evening and mix 24 tracks. We've just added a 300 foot CAT5 multicore to the mixer. 
The "car" is a Kia Sedona and the bulk of the rig will fit, monitors and lights etc usually go in another car.
We usually cater for bands that play to a few hundred people. We did the Ritz at Brighouse recently and was told to turn it down, so I take that as a complement! 

Edited by Clive - 14 April 2016 at 6:01am
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2016 at 6:18pm
Subs look like ES18 BPH...
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2016 at 3:20pm
so, walk us through the cabs you have built and hiw they sound.

how many people you played to and is there anything at this point you'd like to change?
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Clive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2016 at 5:59pm
Final stages of the 10kW ultra-compact rig that fits in a car! (OK I've got a fking big car!)

4 "stacks" are used for the full rig and runs at about 9600 Watts with 5x 300 Watt 10 inch monitors on the stage. (These are great for squeezing onto smaller stages although I wouldn't put kick drum through them!). 

Post Reply Post Reply