Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Planer Wave guide Bass Horn - FX20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicXtasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Planer Wave guide Bass Horn - FX20
    Posted: 24 May 2016 at 12:01pm
I am looking for an alternative to a standard reflex cabinet that will be usable in the low 30's but is not a large and heavy as the FLH or TH designs that are capable of going that deep. Will only be using 4 cabs. I ran across this design and wanted to know if anyone has built it and its advantages and disadvantages. I would also like to know how to model it in hornresp. The Dynacord makes a version loaded with an EV driver. Here is a link to the plans.

The member formally known as vwbidder.
Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 1:22pm
It looks like a rather short tapped horn to me.
Splat Soundsystem
Baby Sham pram Soundsystem
Sapro - SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sapro
DJ Sapro. West country free party DJ and Producer.
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 1:22pm
That box is 90% a tapped horn by construction and size. Notfar from a Cubo Sub which will do what you're asking and simple to build.
Speaker addict
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 1:38pm
that design is barely any smaller than many 15" tapped horns - looked at Danley's TH115 for example
SonicXtasy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicXtasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 11:25pm
It looks like a tapped horn but where would S1 and S2 be? I don't think it can be modeled as a tapped horn. 

The Cubo 18 is smaller but will not go low enough.

It is smaller than the TH115/TH118 but not by much. It is lighter and much easier to build than most TH or FLH.

Does anyone know how to model this?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 1:47am
That box has very little output below 45Hz.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 2:11am
"Does anyone know how to model this?"

It's a reflex box with a 1/4W stub in front.

Yamaha had an old patent on it.
djk
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicXtasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 2:53am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

That box has very little output below 45Hz.

That is the info I was looking to find out. Thanks

Other than standard reflex, can anyone suggest another design that has some usable output to 30hz and is less than 130lbs with a neo driver. Size doesn't really matter, weight will be the limiting factor. 
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 7:35am
Define usable - what SPL are you expecting at 30? No free lunches here...
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicXtasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 12:00pm
My reference is the 31hz low note in Diplo's Revolution. My current mismatched reflexs are down a few db but the note is still there and does not sound struggling. I also want it so that when there is a bass drop (starts at 80 and then goes down) it doesn't just go down some and then "disappear". I don't expect flat to 30 or full output at 30, just be able to have some presence. I was looking for something more efficient than reflex but not as heavy as the FLH or TH that are able to go that low. Usually limited to 15 or 20 amp circuits so I will probably never have huge power to drive them so I feel safer with a less extreme HP (28hz 12db octave, ect). My current 2X18 weighs just under 200 pounds and it is just too much for me to manhandle anymore. I have been going back and forth between building a matching pair or neo loaded 2X18 or up to 4 0f Xoc1's TH18. In 18mm the TH18 is still heavier than I would like. I have considered adapting it to 12mm with well planned bracing. Still not sure if it will go as low as I want. Someone who has them said it struggled on a song that has similar low notes. I was just looking for other options. 
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 6:00pm

Build a Double Fifteen Reflex Enclosure. For small events that is what I use. I get usable bass down to 25 Hz. 

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by SonicXtasy SonicXtasy wrote:

It looks like a tapped horn but where would S1 and S2 be? I don't think it can be modeled as a tapped horn. 

The Cubo 18 is smaller but will not go low enough.

It is smaller than the TH115/TH118 but not by much. It is lighter and much easier to build than most TH or FLH.

Does anyone know how to model this?

Cubo sub is bigger than a cubo 18. Different design and can even take a 21". Goes to low 30s.
Speaker addict
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>