Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mitre Joint Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mitre Joint Help
    Posted: 21 July 2016 at 10:24am
I have my ply cut to size but need some tips on cutting the below angles with a circular saw for this cabinet. Any pointers? I'm going to have a crack this weekend if I can work out the angles properly, just not sure the easiest way to approach it!

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2016 at 10:58am
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2016 at 10:35pm
looks like all angle are as Snowflake said 22.5 degree cuts...
https://www.elements-audio.com
herke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2016 at 11:03pm
A tricky job with a circ saw! needs to be bang on accurate. Im interested to see how you get on.
If you don't have one already get a digital bevel gauge from ebay. even .5 of a degree out will compound

Edited by herke - 21 July 2016 at 11:05pm
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2016 at 11:38pm
simple with a guide rail setup...
https://www.elements-audio.com
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 7:29am
Yep, my saw has a guide rail. Failing that I've used a clamped straight edge before too with this saw.

I'll report back if I have any success with this cab. Planning to put the Volt RVCXD3153 in it and use either a standard pole mount or some sort of U-bracket to mount it on.
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2016 at 5:45pm
If your painting the cab id just leave top bottom and sides at 90* and cut corners pieces at 45*.
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 10:09am
Put this one on hold after a day of chasing my tail. Leaving the top/bottom/sides at 90 degrees would have been the way to go maybe LOL
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 10:41am
Having some panels cut at 90 and some at 45deg won't work because the edges of the panels will then be different dimensions.  Assuming you have 15mm ply, the straight cut edges will be 15mm, the 45deg ones will be 21.2mmm.

What I would recommend is maybe making up a bit of a jig that will hold the panels and the saw guide in the right positions.

If you can't measure 22.5deg accurately on the saw, experiment on some scrap, adjusting until two pieces fit together with exactly 45deg angle.

Have you cut the back panel?  If so, you can use it to offer the first couple of panels up and check they're the right size/angle, then repeat on the rest.

Doing mitres like this is slightly harder to do with a handheld circular saw rather than a bench saw but certainly very do-able, especially with a guide rail.
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 10:57am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Having some panels cut at 90 and some at 45deg won't work because the edges of the panels will then be different dimensions.  Assuming you have 15mm ply, the straight cut edges will be 15mm, the 45deg ones will be 21.2mmm.

What I would recommend is maybe making up a bit of a jig that will hold the panels and the saw guide in the right positions.

If you can't measure 22.5deg accurately on the saw, experiment on some scrap, adjusting until two pieces fit together with exactly 45deg angle.

Have you cut the back panel?  If so, you can use it to offer the first couple of panels up and check they're the right size/angle, then repeat on the rest.

Doing mitres like this is slightly harder to do with a handheld circular saw rather than a bench saw but certainly very do-able, especially with a guide rail.

Had the angles within .5 deg with the saw but my problem was that the guide rail could only be so close to the blade before they touched. So every cut I would have lost 1mm to .5mm.

By the end of the 8 panels I'd lost a few mm total width per panel and the octagon was then a different size with different angles! I have the baffle and back panel as just square cut outs.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 3:01pm
I guess the lesson to learn for future is not to cut mitred panels to size first, leave them oversize so you've got something to work with.
 Post Reply Post Reply