Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which digital desk?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruelectrical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which digital desk?
    Posted: 25 July 2016 at 11:29am
Morning All

Looking for thoughts on which digital desk to buy next , got a qu16 that is great but looking for something with 32 channels and is a bit further away from budget .

Considering allen and Heath gld or Midas m32 ,

What's your thoughts please

Rog
Majestic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 12:05pm
berry x32 ;)
Liteworks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liteworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 12:17pm

GLD would get my vote (where I've spent my money too), very nice little desk, better work flow, touch screen, decent ipad app to mention a few plus points.

-m
www.Lite-Works.co.uk

My Kettle is 2000w! why isn't it very loud??
geoSal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoSal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 12:34pm
X32 or if you want sth more rider friendly M32 .same desk different house
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 12:52pm
GLD is nice. But it's limitation on local inputs pisses me right off! Having to put a DL box at foh is annoying.

I would put my money in to an x32 or m32 and if you wanna spend a bit more cash look at the Yamaha QL desks.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 4:43pm
hey

yeah as people have said the big question is do you want 32 inputs actually on the surface, or are you happy with a stage box and a cat5 snake?

Given the cash, and the ability/desire to use a stage box, I'd go for the Digico S21 actually, though that's probably at the top end of your budget. 

If it has to be 32 inputs on the surface, you're then looking at either the X or M32 depending on how rider friendly you want to be, or one of the soundcrafts. 

While I liked the M32 the one time I actually used it, I'd lean towards a soundcraft actually, really easy to use, sound great, and very quick for throw and go gigs, much quicker to get up and running than most other digital desks. 

k
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 6:01pm
What is your budget? Could probably supply a Vi1 for the upper end of what you're looking at which will be a great shout...
ruelectrical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruelectrical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 8:42pm
Got a good deal on gld for desk ,stage box, 8 way and 50 m cable for under £4000 plus vat , seems good deal , have always like allen and Heath even though it's now Chinese , but considering Midas m32 but concerned it really a behringer with a smart cloak

Edited by ruelectrical - 25 July 2016 at 8:42pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 11:04pm
In terms of functionality the X32 is great but it does have the Behringer build quality (I own one but it doesn't get heavy usage).  I haven't used the M32 version but I suspect it's a much better option for regular gigging.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by ruelectrical ruelectrical wrote:

Got a good deal on gld for desk ,stage box, 8 way and 50 m cable for under £4000 plus vat , seems good deal , have always like allen and Heath even though it's now Chinese , but considering Midas m32 but concerned it really a behringer with a smart cloak

hey

yeah if you have a good deal go for it, GLD is a great wee desk and it always helps to stay with one brand too, it'll tie in nicely with your other desk.

k
Liteworks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liteworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2016 at 10:55am
Originally posted by ruelectrical ruelectrical wrote:

imo best bet is to get hands on with both for a demo (if your any where near Luton we've both in the warehouse) and see which you prefer.  

Both have similar features for there level/price point.   I would be less concerned about the Behringer been a Behringer these days, they do have half decent manufacturing facility's even if there in China and tbh I don't think they can't really aford for the X32 to tank, what I've seen of there support (mainly through internet forums) has been pritty darn good.

With the GLD I've always found the local inputs are enough and if I need more (corporate with RF at FoH for instance) I can just drop an expander box in locally. Personally I like been able to decide where I can put the I/O, rather than been bolted onto the board.

The only negative point I've currently got for the GLD is the lack of Firmware updates, I think it's been over a year at this point that the GLD has been left alone by A&H (nothing major needs addressing, but there are always new features or tweeks it would be nice to see appearing).

One other though, if you've already got Qu's as you mention, you can use the GLD I/O boxes with those too, where as DL's for an X32 wouldn't be compatible.

-m

www.Lite-Works.co.uk

My Kettle is 2000w! why isn't it very loud??
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2016 at 12:17pm
+1 on the GLD

I have a GLD112 surface, 2 off AB168 boxes, and the AR804 for local I/O. All stage boxes are backwards compatible with your Qu!

The AR804 is mostly used for inserting Sabine PowerQ to FOH and Auxes doing wedges. I have to have a safety blanket - makes up for my own inadequacies!! Even using 6 channels of PowerQ inserted locally to desk, I have never had an issue with not enough local I/O!

My only issue is the bolt on cards; cost is "up there", and you can only insert one at a time. If you want to link GLDs (FOH and Monitors) you link using ACE cards, which at upwards of £500, at each end, costs a pound or two. Dante cards are £800+, but a nice option to multitrack record a live set, for remixing afterwards.

Some useful features of the Qu, multi-track-direct-to-HDD-recording, are not on the GLD, but you do get .wav or .flac playback from stick on surface, and two track record to stick.

The class act of the GLD, is its customisability. Real time re-patch of fader locations over 4 layers of 3 banks, means if you cock up lay-out, you can wing it live. Equally the laptop software means you do the "programming" at your leisure, and upload when you get near it, or use laptop as a second "surface", or use a surface. No Android apps yet.

GLD has some excellent FX and old skool (sic) outboard  to drop into 8 slots. Plenty of options to keep most happy.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>