Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbosound restore project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leif.joson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbosound restore project
    Posted: 15 August 2016 at 8:19pm

The dream to restore an old Turbosound I have had for several years. I stumbled over two TME 211 tops and now I really look forward to start the project. I have buildt/restored several vintage HIFi speakers but never PA cabs.

This's a DIY restoration project and all cabs will get total renovation. New drivers if needed, new kicks, new subs, and the plan is to drive all with old HH or Lab gruppen amps.

I have tried the system just to know how good/bad the drivers and boxes are matched.

2 Turbosound TME 211

2 vintage DIY W style horns with Fane studio 15B

I use 2 HH V800 and a Crown 460 csl with a DBX activ crossover for testing. I can hear the Turbosound but know this could preform mutch better then this.

Right now in Turbosound tme 211:

Fane Sovereign 10-300 and P.audio BM-D440

The pd drivers are sounding hard and I need something new. If I got the right information EV DH3 is the driver to get?

I know ther are better drivers then the Fane sovereign but dont know if the win in sound is worth the cost right now.

For kicks i would love TSE 215. But not easy to find in Sweden so my plan is HD 15 diy.
I have read that people use the Fane studio 15b.
Is that a good combination?

I only have 2 of that driver. Would two TSE 215/HD 15 be enough?

For sub I think about going with one of the diy plans. LAB horn, ES 18PBH or USB singel.

I would love help with ideas and with finding good drivers and subs that fits the system. All tips and ideas are welcome.

Kind regards

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2016 at 9:06pm
Nice. How low can you take the tme211? I don't know those ones but that will be a factor in deciding on an upper bass box.
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2016 at 9:26pm
If you are looking for the CD - 102, send me a pm when you have more than 10 posts and I may be able to point you in the right direction. I just managed to get hold of 2 that have never been in speaker boxes. 
In bass no one can hear you scream!
leif.joson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leif.joson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 10:56am
Hi,
I havent got the time to take measurements and its all set up in my workshop. Right now I am in bed sick. but from what i read the turbo 10" needs to be cut at 250hz. On the Fane sovereign pro 10-300 data cheat it states Usable frequency range 45hz-4khz.
http://www.fane-international.com/downloads/Fane-SovereignPro-10300-DS240316.pdf
But I dont think it would make it that low and sound good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leif.joson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 11:07am
Sounds really interesting midas.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 11:40am
tricky bit so will be finding an upper bass box that goes up to 250 nicely.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leif.joson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 1:48pm
TSE 110 and TSE 215 is a TMS 3 and therfor should sound good together.
The most fun would be to find the original TSE TSE 115 or 215. But it seems not very easy, and because I am a carpenter and hav a tight budget my idea was to build something similar.
I understood it as the HD 15 was a copy of the TSE 115 but have not read the spec/crossover points so closely.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leif.joson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 2:26pm
Although I love the sound of Turbo boxes, I am open to any suggestions on how I get that great sound for smaller parties. We play mostly electronic music but also worldmusic of various kinds.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 5:38pm
You need to use original drivers with original cones not a lot else will do. Best bet is buy a working v2 tms3 that gives you most of the parts needed..and if you get a chop saw out a handy 2x15 turbo sub

Edited by 4D - 16 August 2016 at 5:39pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leif.joson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 6:03pm
hmmm. . . Not the answer I was hoping for but I understand your point.
Pipes66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipes66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2016 at 7:50pm
Hello Ford,
I've been trying to contact you regarding your old P&M Kawasaki,would you mind contacting me at pcw6819@outlook.com please.
Many thanks Pete
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2016 at 8:20pm
Funny I've seen loads of tse-215s for sale in Sweden, but I was too slow.
I have drawings and a "wood bender" needed to make tse-115s, you can have them when you get to DK:-)
Also I'm not sure if your tse-211s will ever sound good as the phaseplug looks wrong, post a pic, not perfect copies I'd say.
I have EV, JBL & other drivers sitting in stock.
Strange the "V-4" tms-3 is a huge JBL 2445j driver, not suitable at all if u ask me, it performs better below 4khz where it's not needed, not good from that point & up :-( -Pink Floyd or Black Box Music must've been deaf, which is probably the case:-) -How did Tony Andrews avoid that?
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>