Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbosound restore project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leif.joson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2016 at 9:11pm
Hi,
That would be fantastic. I hope to drive down to Danmark within the next 5-8 weeks and would love to se how you did it.
Smile
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2016 at 7:54am
Well actually I can't really recommend it unless you like problems:-)
Not that I really think of this as "piracy" as the design is more than 35 years old
It takes so long and there's so many little details if you want it to be the same.
It won't save you any money looking at used price.

The only reason I made tms-2s was that it was completely impossible for me to find any more and two carpenters was saying "I can easily do that" I tried to explain them that it was a lot of work (even though I'm not the carpenter) and he was almost dying doing the job which I had to finish...
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2016 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Pipes66 Pipes66 wrote:

Hello Ford,
I've been trying to contact you regarding your old P&M Kawasaki,would you mind contacting me at pcw6819@outlook.com please.
Many thanks Pete

done..
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
leif.joson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leif.joson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2016 at 11:59pm
It would be a fun project to make a all wood/ply TMS design. But right now I am thinking of doing TSE boxes and use original 10" and 2" horns. I know the horns on my unit is fake and probably not complitly wrong. It sounds ok but needs work.
I am a woodworker and I really enjoy making speakers and sound things. I have probably made over 30 unique HIFI speakers in all sices and budgets and never bought a new driver. I like when speakers look like good quality craftsmanship and have som sort of expression.
Most HIFI don't and sertenly not most pa.
It's a project that will change and grow depending on what happens along the road.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2016 at 7:08am
The whole point of the TMS/TSE series was that it was all built around the 10" mid-device (as a complete system, so the correct waveguide, driver and back-bowl).

Once youve changed the single fundamental part of the system, its not really anything to do with a TMS/TSE box any more. A completely unoriginal HF-TurboMid-Bass design would be more inkeeping with the premise than a CD102, wrong 10" loaded on the wrong waveguide, TSE-115 would as youve removed the integral part that gives it the signature sound. All TMS/TSE boxes sound like the same TurboMid Device with different bass solutions underneath, for better (TMS-3/4) or for worse (TMS-1)...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leif.joson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2016 at 8:42pm
You are absolutely right about that. I will try ta get as much as possible just like original or better. especially all internal volumes and measurements including drivers. I don't have a big budget for this project so it will be done over time and in the order I find boxes, drivers and other things needed.
I understand that it might sound like a strange project and not the most time effective or budget friendly.
But I learn and get to know every little inch and part of the system. The same is done with the HH amps and rack. All cables are made or will be made in the right length with high quality connectors.
That way it's a system I know all about and I will have the skills and knowledge to maintain, run and fix all parts of it.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2016 at 5:44am
Some other things you may be interested in from your other posts:

The 10" has to be high passed at 250Hz 24dB/Oct L-R when using the original 10 and waveguide to avoid the driver slamming into the back of the phase plug.

Although opinion varies, the HD15 isn't a good design to follow if you want to reach the 250Hz of a correctly loaded TSE 115 or 215. Everyone that's ever attempted it has ended up with a horrible honking noise at 200-250 from what I've heard or heard from people who's opinion I trust.
The same goes for an original 115/215 loaded with the wrong driver, both the Fane Studio 15 and PD154 are quite popular suggestions to replace the original driver with and both struggle to make it to 250, the PD driver worse so.

I'd be quite interested to see how TV00 has made his jig to get the correct curve :)
Pipes66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipes66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 6:46pm
Hello again Ford,
Thanks for sending your pm, it arrived in my junk email,I did send an email,have you checked your junk folder?
Regards Pete
Steve20131 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve20131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 10:08am
Lab gruppen over hh?
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

Some other things you may be interested in from your other posts:

The 10" has to be high passed at 250Hz 24dB/Oct L-R when using the original 10 and waveguide to avoid the driver slamming into the back of the phase plug.

Although opinion varies, the HD15 isn't a good design to follow if you want to reach the 250Hz of a correctly loaded TSE 115 or 215. Everyone that's ever attempted it has ended up with a horrible honking noise at 200-250 from what I've heard or heard from people who's opinion I trust.
The same goes for an original 115/215 loaded with the wrong driver, both the Fane Studio 15 and PD154 are quite popular suggestions to replace the original driver with and both struggle to make it to 250, the PD driver worse so.

I'd be quite interested to see how TV00 has made his jig to get the correct curve :)

YES, hd15s won't do the job
I'll post some pics of the jig, still it's more expensive building than buying used, unless you eat nothing and shit money:-)
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leif.joson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Steve20131 Steve20131 wrote:

Lab gruppen over hh?

Lab gruppen makes fantastic amps used by menny in great sounding PA systems and in HIFI setups at home. I got two LAB 1000
HH is new to me. I bought two HH v800 really sheep and after some reading I understand people like them. They are built like tanks and probably will last 30 more years. The sound is a bit to warm when tested on my home speakers but with the right speakers I hope they will sound great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leif.joson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 5:56pm

Pics of the jigg would be fun to see.
Not coming from a PA background more then that I have heard the rigs on the danc floor. And that at a time in life when I didn't think that much about speaker design. The more I read about the TMS and TSE I understand I still have a lot to learn. Thanks all of you cheering information and experience.

I will keep the dream to build my own "Turbosound" rig. I have not give up already but if it's to expensive or way to much work I will buy loaded boxes when found.

What would you but under a two sets of TMS 3? My hope is to build/re build/buy 4 TSE 211 and 8 TSE 115. But let's see what I find along the way.

what do you have to say about the TMS 4? I have never heard them. It's smaller then the TMS 3 but still quite big and hevy l guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>