Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THE BEST KICKS?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SatvaSounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE BEST KICKS?
    Posted: 17 August 2016 at 9:03am
Greetings, Please can someone give me some Advice as to what Kicks Would be Best for a Roots Dub Reggae Sound system,
I currently have a Unloaded 18" twin Reflex box at Mine which i was considering using for Kick but would i get a better Sound by Using 15" instead? if so why?  and Which drivers would be advised to use for the Punchiest Kick ?

Kind Regards
SatvaSounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SatvaSounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2016 at 1:37pm
Any Help????
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2016 at 1:51pm
HD15s seem to be the most-common kick for reggae/dub! or ES18s if you want something bigger and more powerful. Although reflex boxes are also commonly used for the upper bass section in root systems.

In regards to 18 vs 15 relfex...I'm not sure but I think 15" is better for fast, repetitive kicks (can someone elaborate?)...although I'm sure you won't come across much of that in reggae and dub!

I've got two 18" reflexes that I will temporarily be using as kick bins after building my hogs and before I build a USB or HD215...so also interested in that question!

Edited by KingGwarn - 18 August 2016 at 1:52pm
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2016 at 1:55pm
I'm no pro and not as experienced as some member here, so take with caution :
It depends, on what you have above, what you have under, what aree your cutoff frequencies, what spl you aim, what sound you like, what drivers you intend to use.....
For roots reggae I prefer bass reflex, I find sometimes that 15" bph for kicks sound a little honky, sometimes clean. With 15's you'll have more punch they're fast, 18s tend to sound more "heavy" and can go lower but, splwise it depends more on the driver than the size I guess even if 18s tend to need more power. I like when sounds cut their sub pretty low (70-90) so when you let just the kick you have a decent bass, and you can fool the audience thinking you're actually playing full range... until WOOF you rince'em with sub ^^ That's why i love 18 but each to their own, horses for courses... For more "technoid" dub some find the 18 too slow and want a really punchy kick which is easily obtained with 15s... The best is to listen and decide for yourself
Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2016 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by JBK JBK wrote:

I'm no pro and not as experienced as some member here, so take with caution :
It depends, on what you have above, what you have under, what aree your cutoff frequencies, what spl you aim, what sound you like, what drivers you intend to use.....
For roots reggae I prefer bass reflex, I find sometimes that 15" bph for kicks sound a little honky, sometimes clean. With 15's you'll have more punch they're fast, 18s tend to sound more "heavy" and can go lower but, splwise it depends more on the driver than the size I guess even if 18s tend to need more power. I like when sounds cut their sub pretty low (70-90) so when you let just the kick you have a decent bass, and you can fool the audience thinking you're actually playing full range... until WOOF you rince'em with sub ^^ That's why i love 18 but each to their own, horses for courses... For more "technoid" dub some find the 18 too slow and want a really punchy kick which is easily obtained with 15s... The best is to listen and decide for yourself

That sir, was a really good answer.
Clap
Splat Soundsystem
Baby Sham pram Soundsystem
Sapro - SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sapro
DJ Sapro. West country free party DJ and Producer.
SatvaSounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SatvaSounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2016 at 2:07pm
what drivers would be advised for a 18" twin reflex box, ( for the kicks) *(for roots reggae/dub)
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2016 at 8:49pm
I prefer 15s as i feel they play the higher notes/tones much better. And also whats important is a box designed to PURPOSELY play within the freq ur giving it. All i see is sounds using any bass box that plays anywhere from 35 -45hz and using it from 90hz up. Everyone has differwnt ears and want a diff sound. Some want bigger and 18s to cut much lower and olay sub also and time align with their scoops. Some want a loud hard kick like hard dance music
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2016 at 11:50pm
as above, 18" for me only sound good upto 120hz ish, after that they sound too slow and sluggish.
if your 15" sounds honky your playing it too high. its easyer to get a top box to play lower and sounds better than a cab to play higher.

I think it depends if you want a a dedicated high bass cab 50hz to 130hz, or a kick cab 90hz to 200hz, or a mid frequency cab tuned lower...
https://www.elements-audio.com
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2016 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by SatvaSounds SatvaSounds wrote:

what drivers would be advised for a 18" twin reflex box, ( for the kicks) *(for roots reggae/dub)

18's for high bass, but 18's are too slow (transient response) to make good kick cabs...for this look to 15" drivers.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2016 at 11:56pm
this may help....

Filter for Clarity – A high-pass filter isn’t used much for bass instruments, but it can clean up the low-end of the kick drum quite well. Don’t overdo the filtering, just below 50 Hz can make the kick drum tight while cleaning up unnecessary low-end.

Low End Thump – It’s important to emphasize the low-end of the kick with EQ. If you feel there isn’t enough bass to your kick drum, a low shelving boost around 80 – 100 Hz normally does the trick.

Get Rid of Boominess – A boomy kick drum can also cloud up the clarity of your kick drum sound, so it’s normally a good idea to cut around 200 – 250 Hz if you feel there is too much muddiness in your kick drum sound.

Cut out the Boxiness – A boxy kick drum sound is also a common nuisance, which can be fixed with Eq’ing out the boxiness that resides in the aread around 300 – 600Hz or so.

Bring out the Beater – If your kick drum is all thump and no snap then we need to bring out the sound of the beater. We can usually find it around the 2 – 4 Khz area.

Depending on the genre of the song, and the type of beater used, different frequency boosts in the beater area generate different sounds. A boost at 2.5 Khz is more of a typical rock sound as opposed to a narrower boost at around 4 Khz, which results in a Hardcore Metal type snap.

Filter the High-End – Filtering out the high-end can work well if there is a lot of bleed from the snare and cymbals. A low-pass filter down to 10 kHz or can really get rid of that high-end you really don’t need in the kick drum sound.

luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2016 at 7:55pm
For me i think 18s are a waste of money ontop of subs. less van space, heavier, and more money than a 15 for both driver and box. Its only good to me if you also use the 18s on their own for small gigs which is a major reason some do it.
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2016 at 8:47pm
18's can work for kick, but get some with a 3" VC, ie lighter cone.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>