Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker - Amp connectivity issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliolioli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker - Amp connectivity issues
    Posted: 26 September 2016 at 6:38pm
I have just purchased 2 new Torque speakers which both have no cable ports other than a single 60W port in each.

I intended on connecting the speakers to an amp, where the output ports on the amp accept only the black/red split cable ports (not sure what these are called sorry!).

Does anyone know how I can connect my speakers to the amp through this format? I can email pictures if my explanation hasn't been sufficient!

Thanks a lot
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 7:09pm
is it speakon sockets on the back? look them up and see...

and the red / black screw connectors are known as binding posts.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 7:12pm
At a guess they are the 60 watt ones that recently sold on E-Bay??? If so the "port" on the back is a 1/4" jack socket. So you need a lead with a Mono jack on one end, and the bare wires on the other to go to the amp.

I suspect you're a newbie so the positive wire goes to the tip of the jack plug, and to the red terminal on the amp.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Oliolioli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliolioli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 1:52pm
hi Markie,

Thanks a lot for your reply! It is indeed those speakers from ebay!

I am the lowest level of newbie, and so I'm not 100% sure what you mean by your reply. is this the cable I need? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/6-35mm-Male-Stereo-Jack-Bare-black/dp/B00J2SQDQQ

Thanks a lot for your help

imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 3:01pm
That is the correct type.

Quality looks spectacularly low. they've even tied a knot in the cable!
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 3:04pm

Top Customer Reviews

Verified Purchase There are several issues with this cable:
1. The main description is wrong. It is NOT a male stereo jack, it is a mono jack plug. Anyone who rolls their mouse over the picture will see this.
2. The product description states that it is screened cable - it is NOT. It is twin-core speaker cable. It cannot, therefore, be used on the input side of an amplifier where noise and crosstalk are considerations.
3. The product description also states that it is highly flexible - it is NOT. For a small size cross-sectional cable, it is surprisingly stiff. I would not like to use this cable in a mobile disco situation where it is constantly being plugged and unplugged. I would suggest that this cable could be used in a home cinema system where, once connected, it would not be disturbed.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 3:31pm
I wondered if it was screened cable as it was round. Screened is less than ideal for speaker cable, although you DO want a mono jack not stereo. It's also rather expensive, particularly with the QTX brand which is usually really poor quality.

Best thing you can do is buy a roll of 2.5mm speaker cable  and a couple of mono 6.35mm jacks from E-bay and learn to solder, or get someone to solder them up for you.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
 Post Reply Post Reply