Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Sheet prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

Wow must suck to be in japan. okay if you just use a few sheets here and there no problem. £700 on a pack. If its down to drop in sterling, bit slow on the uptake prices only started increasing yesterday. Latvia have euro and alot of the ply comes from there, euro drop was more than the pound. 

pound has been dropping relative to the euro for some time. with a big drop when the brexit vote happened.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=1Y
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 1:24pm
Yeah something to do with trade routes, Doesnt really make alot of difference to me as long as people are willing to pay over £300 for flatpacked ply bins. Which is doubtful. 

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 29 September 2016 at 1:25pm
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 3:10pm
I seem to remember a while ago Mykey was experimenting with laminating 9mm ply and MDF. Ply on the outside for durability and MDF inside which is supposed to improve acoustic properties.

Incidentally what's happened to Mykey, he hasn't posted for a while and Doesn't seem to be on the member list any more?
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 3:25pm
He is very active on FB.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 3:40pm
Interesting idea. Laminating sheets you do run the risk of them de-laminating. For cnc they have to be done well, in a press ideally and theres the cost of glue. without glue you're talking £10 difference in cost. Alot of effort for £10. 
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 3:59pm
southwest, why are your cliants dictating cost !

raw material price is raw material price, its not like if there is an increase they can get it cheaper...
if the price goes up by £10 or £100 a sheet, that surly is added to you final price....
If not then your taking a hit in order to line others pockets, this don't make business sense to me.
https://www.elements-audio.com
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 4:16pm
For sure, The cutting/labour times and material costs dictate the price every time. For me material cost make no odds in that sense just reduces the size of the market somewhat.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 29 September 2016 at 4:16pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 4:19pm
Cost of wood is only one piece of the cost. And not a big one that is. 
The paint cost me about the same as the wood on some of my products.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 8:43pm
Yin YangCan see your point chaps, but you are making a living out of it.

For the DIY man (lets not forget the forums roots) if someone scores an 18" driver for 70 quid does he want to put 60 quids worth of ply round it or 16 quids worth of MDF?
Also DIY in garden people won't have tools that can deal with birch, cheap router bits etc.

16 quids worth of MDF will make a B&C Sub 18, 30 on paint and sandpaper and glue and speakons.
Add this to the (not uncommon) eBay driver win of 70 and 100 quid gets someone a cab a ton better than an New Berry or QTX.

I have just done this: 4 x 600w FTR 18's @ 60 a driver. They were in cabs that I knew used them (NJD) so made offer without cabs, 4/5 sheets of MDF, 2.5l paint and there are 4 great subs for 400 quid. The insides of the cabs are PVA sealed to keep the spores away and I know from experience they will still be around in 10 years.

My (off subject) point is DIY people do not get put off having a go because you cannot warrant Birch for your hobby, MDF will do fine and is a lot less upsetting when you make your inevitable L plate mistakes Yin Yang

Edited by nickyburnell - 29 September 2016 at 8:45pm
It's everything, not everythink!
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

Yin YangCan see your point chaps, but you are making a living out of it.

For the DIY man (lets not forget the forums roots) if someone scores an 18" driver for 70 quid does he want to put 60 quids worth of ply round it or 16 quids worth of MDF?
Also DIY in garden people won't have tools that can deal with birch, cheap router bits etc.

16 quids worth of MDF will make a B&C Sub 18, 30 on paint and sandpaper and glue and speakons.
Add this to the (not uncommon) eBay driver win of 70 and 100 quid gets someone a cab a ton better than an New Berry or QTX.

I have just done this: 4 x 600w FTR 18's @ 60 a driver. They were in cabs that I knew used them (NJD) so made offer without cabs, 4/5 sheets of MDF, 2.5l paint and there are 4 great subs for 400 quid. The insides of the cabs are PVA sealed to keep the spores away and I know from experience they will still be around in 10 years.

My (off subject) point is DIY people do not get put off having a go because you cannot warrant Birch for your hobby, MDF will do fine and is a lot less upsetting when you make your inevitable L plate mistakes Yin Yang

So very true, infact ive sourced a lot of gear for people from deals that pop up, as new is just out of the budget.

If I based sales on say this forum, I would be skint, as half the members cant afford new (the true diy'ers) or the pros who only want big branded gear f1, void, ect.. The trick is the middle ground system owners..
https://www.elements-audio.com
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 9:20pm
Yep. The market size is defined by the price tag. Go within 60-65% of pro audio, and you've priced yourself out of the market. Pro audio markup will likely absorb the fluctuations in timber costs which doesnt help in this scenario. 

Personally i prefer sound with character and void, f1 has nothing on DIY. 

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 30 September 2016 at 3:43am
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 1:35pm
€29.50 + vat just now at Brooke's in Cork!!
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>