Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 volt Transformers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fieldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 volt Transformers
    Posted: 19 October 2016 at 10:36pm
I was given a few transformers that were left over from an art exhibition, they were used for the lighting but I didn't see them in action. I was hoping I could use these to set up a little LED lighting rig, but I don't have much of a clue about this stuff. Can anyone give me some pointers, like how many lights I could run and how to connect them (series or parallel?), or some links to articles where I could learn?

They look like this:

The white one is quite heavy.

Thanks!

monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2016 at 5:37pm
These are for PAR 16 (birdie lamps) They are little versions of a rock and roll parcan. Unfortunately they can't be used for LED lights without a bit of electronics in between the transformer and an LED. The lamps that they will have been used with are the type used in halogen downlighters in you kitchen (12v GU10 Lamps) 

The white one will power 5 or 6 50w lamps and the black one will power 2 x 50w lamps.
blah blah blah blah blah......
patryk1305 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patryk1305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2016 at 8:17pm
Like above, since these are just transformers, you get an Alternating Current (AC) out of them meaning that if you want to run LED you would need to rectify to get Direct Current (DC). Then there is the electronics to run the specific LED (depending on your requirement). In my opinion it would just be easier to buy a SMPS to run the LED's. Lighter too Embarrassed
fieldman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fieldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2016 at 10:45pm
@monkeypuzzle,
That's exactly what I needed to know, thank you. As it happens I do have a few 12v GU10 lamps (in my kitchen, just found out!) so I can mess about with them. Is there a minimum load - e.g. would it be ok to put just one 50w lamp on the black transformer?

@patryk1305,
Well I never knew that, always assumed when I see 12v it is DC. And you're right about the weight. Do you think these transformers are worth anything, I have quite a few.

Edited by fieldman - 21 October 2016 at 11:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply