Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm in mourning! Very first LMS has died

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm in mourning! Very first LMS has died
    Posted: 23 October 2016 at 2:56pm
. At a gig last night with my mini rig; suddenly all goes silent! My Alto MAXIDRIVE 3.2+ has stopped working. Display blank but backlight still on, channel 1 VU has 3 LEDs permanently lit and channel 2 has just clip light on constantly. Had the lid off this morning, no obvious problems. Plugged back in, fired it up, worked for about 30 seconds, then all goes quiet and same thing happens as last night. Your thoughts please folks on viability/cost effectiveness of repair. Got 3 systems going out this Friday, so must have something in place by close of business Thursday. So basic choice repair or replace. What doth the collective reckon!!???
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 2:58pm
Should also point out I'm on a very tight budget. Had a lot of expense lately.
Soundscape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 4:20pm
My condolences Sir!

How did you deal with this situation at the gig? 
Was it just starting, half way through or near the end?

I'm fairly certain most of the smaller operators/rig owners on here don't carry a spare LMS so
this situation is a right PITA.

I'm afraid I can't suggest whether your Alto unit is worth repairing or not but there must be others on here
with the knowledge.

Steve / Soundscape
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 5:05pm
Always carries a crap x-over that could make do and create some noise. Why not Y type cable invaluable in those situations
It's everything, not everythink!
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 7:04pm
It went right at the start of the night; Halloween disco for group of kids with learning disabilities and their helpers, about 60 odd. Fortunately it was a tiny venue. Those who know my mini rig will know that it is THAM12s and RCF 10+1 mid/tops. So a quick re-patch and did the whole night on RCFs only. Set HPF on Yam P3500 to 50 Hz, backed off the system graphic at 20 & 40 Hz and gave it a lift at 63 Hz. Didn't need ear bleeding volume levels, so this was reasonable compromise.
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 7:27pm
It takes an 'oh shit' moment like that to fully appreciate that little bag of 'get out of jail free' adaptors, cables and little bits of spare kit!

I wouldn't think repairing it would be cost effective - use it as an opportunity to get a little upgrade in.
supremesoundz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 7:51pm
I'm so so so glad my mixer has a sub out to deal with scenarios like this. Id upgrade the LMS Tom. ultradri es are cheap enough. Check it first though as it might just be a ribbon cable that has come loose.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 8:08pm
i pretty much always carry a little rack with an lms and a 4channel amp as spare. even it if's not needed by me.. it's got other people out of the shit before heh.
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 8:20pm
at least the show went on Thumbs Up  it is best to carry backup just in case u never know

Edited by jammin75 - 23 October 2016 at 8:22pm
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2016 at 9:24am
I've used a graphic eq in the past when a crossover went wrong. Not the best, but it kept the show going. 

Edited by Earplug - 24 October 2016 at 9:24am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2016 at 10:36am
had an ultradrive die right at the start of 3 day festival. Was basically a dry hire and only found out what had happened when I came to check how the tent was doing. had a spare EQ witha sub out but mr sundman wouldnt puase the music for 10 mins to sort it out. Sounded awful, red lights all over and someone had plugged in a new analog crossover almost at random...very embarrassing. luckily sorted it the next morning (ribbon cable re set and a  few taps...) the gent running the sound was looking very sheepish.

Post Reply Post Reply