Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allen Heath Mixwizard Equivalents

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allen Heath Mixwizard Equivalents
    Posted: 20 December 2016 at 6:34pm
Plenty of overpriced, old, under serviced,  A&H 14:4:2s on ebay.

Apart from Mackie 1642VLZ, anything else recommended, used, in £500 price bracket, with 4x groups ?

Will admit A&H Mixwiz do sound really nice, when not breaking down... LOL
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 7:34pm
X32 Rack?
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2016 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by spongebob spongebob wrote:

X32 Rack?

EDIT:Behringer rackmount.. No thanks.

Soundcraft Signature 16 for £440 new from Thomann is very interesting.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/soundcraft_signature16.htm

Edited by levyte357- - 20 December 2016 at 7:58pm
THECANDLEMAN View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECANDLEMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 8:24am
anyone heard one of the new cheaper midas dda desks ??

Motion Systems - Void Airmotion, Airten & Stasys 218 With Powersoft DSP
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 8:55am
X32 rack smashes the granny out of all its competition in my eyes (yet to try UI16 etc)

QU16's are not too bad just very limited. But if you don't get digital they are a great entry.

The days of Mixxwhizz etc are gone! Got 2 here that just sit in the shelf all year round.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 9:37am
+1
Got one on sale at the moment and it doesn't really get a lot of interest.
Since i swapt to the X32 Rack i have so much more capabilities out of the box and i don't really need faders that often. 
I usually do small gigs with a few dj's and small live acts. Sometimes a bit bigger events with several bands where i simply rent an extra X32 full /compact and use the X32 Rack as stagerack. Single Cat5 to the stage and off we go, no need for a heavy snake. Need more channels? Add an S16.

What i got from the switch:
- Remote control via Ipad which is very useful when doing quick DJ switches on stage on your own and the stage manager is a "I like to play with myself"/non-existent.
- being able to walk around into the audience with an ipad to adjust volume/tone balance.
- not needing to take up space with a FOH.
- recording capabilities, bands and DJs love it when you tell them you can simply record their set for a small fee as long as they provide a simple USB stick or even a full multitrack. 
- not needing to bring an external soundcard for playing a backing track or some soundcheck tracks. ( I actually have a Dante card in it so even more options than the USB card so i don't need my laptop right next to the X32 Rack)
- Dante! simply plug the X32 rack with an ethernet cable into my Netmax and ive got 8 or more outputs while still being able to transport the X32rack and Netmax in different cases (modularity is pretty important to me).

Did i even mention the fact that the X32 is digital and i can leave all of the outboard at home? Quality of the comps/gates/compressors and FX may not be the absolute best compared to top-notch desks, but its definitely more than usable and at MixWizz level gigs i don't think anybody will notice.

Also, i used a lot of stereo feeds on my mixwizz due to the nature of my gigs. Always needed to mirror one channel to the other, EQ, panning, gain, sends and 2 faders to operate 1 feed. Now it's just ''link channels'' and operate everything from 1 channel. Saves me quite some hassle.

Best regards,
Teun.
ewan360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewan360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 10:36am
The Soundcraft LX7 is a nice sounding, very flexible desk if you prefer analogue. You can get a well cared for one in a flightcase for under £500 on ebay.
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 9:13pm
Used my trusty mixwizard at the weekend and have to admit I preferred using it much more than all the digital desks I used throughout the week - which was quite a few.
Yeah it's slightly more effort with the stage snake and patching outboard but feels good to not be looking at screens and have lots of buttons to push and pots to turn :)
The great thing is outboard is coming down is price used so you can get some excellent stuff like distressors and tube comps cheap!

Equivalents to look at I guess are soundcraft GB and LX7, Midas Venice, DDA or if you want budget; Behringer whatever (yuck!).
Stretch to new stuff and I would definitely be looking at cadac live1 series :)
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 9:28pm
"The days of Mixxwhizz etc are gone! Got 2 here that just sit in the shelf all year round."

If you want, I´ll take them off your hands and free up the shelf space.    Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 9:41pm
If I could locate A&H Mixiz 14:4:2 WZ3 for approx £350, that would be interesting.

If not, looks like Mackie 1642VLZ, or Soundcarft Signature 16..

Unless there are other < £500 used desks out there, with 16 channels. 4 groups.

And rack mountable, in standard 19" 12u case.

Edited by levyte357- - 21 December 2016 at 9:42pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 9:53pm
Have you looked at the Phonic Helix Board24? Not as good as the A&H, but should be within your budget.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2016 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Have you looked at the Phonic Helix Board24? Not as good as the A&H, but should be within your budget.

Strictly A&H, Soundcraft or Mackie for me really...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>