Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn Plan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2017 at 5:19pm
Yes that is the correct idea. 39Hz at 345ms = 8.8m to terminate the horn semi-ideally (must check expansion length vs area too for idealness).

But you're presumably ground stacking them so that will double the effective mouth area if you assume the floor is an ideal reflective boundary and not a vibrating stage. You;d need to have a stack 3-4 bins wide I think assuming they are ~2ft wide. Which is pretty common for that sort of cutoff.

Ruggeddave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruggeddave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2017 at 5:27pm
Horn resp has a built in function for simulating multiple cabs, simulating in .5pi space is not the same as having 4 cabs!

Simulate it in 2pi for a more realistic response, check excursion graphs again also.

Another point is don't forget to check the clearance of the driver between the cone and the letterbox throat, you will most likely need a separate driver baffle rather than mounting the driver flush on the letterbox its self.

Hope this helps.  
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2017 at 5:33pm
52cm wide (1.7ft) so not quite but should still get me fairly close with 4 stacked together. I forgot about the boundry loading of the ground, so in 2pi, effectively half the circumference is needed (in laymans terms).

Thanks for clearing that up!

Ruggerdave - I've checked this as I thought the same but all the graphs come out identical if simulating one cab in .5pi or actually using the multible cabs function to get 4 stacked together. God knows if this is correct but I assume that its so similar it doesn't matter.

With regards to the cone excursion maybe hitting the baffle, i intend to router out a 4/5mm deep circle around the inside edge (maybe a bit wider than the surround) instead of adding a baffle 'ring', if that makes sense. Saves wood and seems easier.

Thanks for suggestions!

Edited by Mikkel - 14 January 2017 at 5:52pm
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 10:03am
Are u in Huddersfield? -Your name sounds danish:-)

www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 10:49am
Im originally from Denmark but live in England, lived her most of my life. Though with all this brexit nonsense dunno how long that'll last. Ouch
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2017 at 2:52pm
im not a fan of ported horns either usualy, im liking this design idea so far
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2017 at 6:13pm
I find the dimensions perfect! -just for an EU pallet.
Size & fane driver was the things that got me to think of invader (b600)
But the 18b is only available on special order now isn't it?
I'd love to put my col18-1500s in some real horns one day...
Gotta fix some other speakers now...
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2017 at 6:13pm
Hi

Apologise about the belated response about this. Unfortunately due to personal reasons ive had to shelve this project for the forseeable future.

If anyone else is wanting to build some prototypes, drop me a pm and ik happy to help however i can.

Will if course update if this comes back on track but dont hold your breath.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123