Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 4 channel amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by luton_soundman luton_soundman wrote:

I think the risk of looking inferior should outweigh the risk of publishing 2r specs to show it is 2 ohm stable when you know in yourself you shouldnt do it and wouldnt recommend it.

fair point.

I wasnt quite ready to 'launch' the product, but it seems people found it before I was ready. I may take the 2 ohm ratings out of the description.

At this point, where its a new product, I cant be sure exactly what the long term performance is like on a 2 ohm load - but equally I know that very few people actually manage to give an amp a 2 ohm load, especially on bass frequencies where the impedance of an 8 ohm driver can rise to 30 ohms or more.

If you look at the specs though, the power difference between 4 ohm  and 8 ohm is nominal - there is little or no benefit from 2 ohm operation.

the 'numbers' game is in full effect in the industry though, you might score brownie points by being 110% honest, but when nobody else is, it becomes a tough call.

Edited by Andy Kos - 09 January 2017 at 9:10pm
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 10:02pm
Specs listed with THD = 1% hmm...

But happy to hear from people who actually used them!
We need more SPL!
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Dutchman Dutchman wrote:

Specs listed with THD = 1% hmm...

But happy to hear from people who actually used them!

THD of 1% is basically at clip.

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:03pm
Would be very honorable, to remove 2 ohm specs, or even better, state 2 ohm not recommended.

Also useful, would be burst spec,  output power, all channels driven at 4 ohms,  100hz, 500hz, 1khz, 10khz .

Would not think many expect to use this for dedicated sub, all channels, but an idea of performance, on kick upwards, would be very useful.

£800 for basically 2x mid or kick amps, is jolly good.

Any chance of > 1x year warranty ?

Edited by levyte357- - 09 January 2017 at 11:05pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Would be very honorable, to remove 2 ohm specs, or even better, state 2 ohm not recommended.

Agreed - this is currently under discussion. The unit will work at 2 ohms, but we have not yet conducted long term testing. Perhaps for now we will remove the 2 ohm specs and/or reword the description.

Also useful, would be burst spec,  output power, all channels driven at 4 ohms,  100hz, 500hz, 1khz, 10khz .

We have some of this information - but are still collating a full data set, considering sending a unit off for external testing.

Whether one or all 4 channels are driven is irrelevant, as each channel has an independent switched mode PSU.

Would not think many expect to use this for dedicated sub, all channels, but an idea of performance, on kick upwards, would be very useful.

Agreed - we're not plugging this as a sub amp. In fact my main focus is the bi-amp wired option which has two different amp modules inside. This will work for 2-way active mid-highs and monitor wedges, etc

£800 for basically 2x mid or kick amps, is jolly good.

Any chance of > 1x year warranty ?

Possibly, maybe, probably. Warranty is often a numbers game, a certain %age of issues is expected. The longer the warranty, the higher the %age of issues. Longer warranty is possible, but would be subject to Ts and Cs and still needs a little thought.

The amps have been with us less than a week - we werent actually quite ready for them to be dissected in quite such detail quite so quickly.

Hopefully will have all the answers very, very soon.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:23pm
well in fairness, they are listed on your site for sale.. so hey have been launched, so yeah, they will be discussed.

i think they look useful and good value. nice one.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Andy Kos Andy Kos wrote:

Whether one or all 4 channels are driven is irrelevant, as each channel has an independent switched mode PSU.

Very interesting.

This makes it worth holding off on buying used Amps.

Any chance of you supplying the 2U version of this?
Also are the amps ventilation back to front, or vice versa?
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

well in fairness, they are listed on your site for sale.. so hey have been launched, so yeah, they will be discussed.

i think they look useful and good value. nice one.

You are correct - normally if we're not ready we leave the product in hidden/archived mode - in hind sight, we should have probably done that with this product.

We often add new products and work on the tech specs/images quietly in the background without anyone noticing.

What's happened here is the first test  batch have arrived early... and triggered a course of events.

Edited by Andy Kos - 09 January 2017 at 11:38pm
osse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:36pm
If you think about sending to external test, maybe send one to abeltronics? Would give a fair judgement
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:48pm
To be fair, measuring watts at clip level will inflate the numbers big time.
But very smart idea to have speakon plate with phoenix connectors! Really smart!!
It makes life easy.
We need more SPL!
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Dutchman Dutchman wrote:

To be fair, measuring watts at clip level will inflate the numbers big time.

Problem is, everyone is doing this. If you don't do something similar, you don't get noticed.

I wont mention brands, but you only need to take a quick look at the multitudes of active speakers out there with power ratings of 1000W, 1500W, 2000W, etc when the real power is often less than half, and sometimes as little as a quarter. People are buying these kinds of things all the time, and actually think (for example) that they have a 2000W 12" subwoofer, when we all know they dont.

Somewhere in all of this I need to pitch products in such a way as to appeal to a broad range of people, and then in the finer details - give the accurate, specific information that the pro audio market needs to assess the product.

GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2017 at 12:29am
I'd like to test one. Numbers these days can be meaningless. For me if an amp gives the sound I want, at the levels I want,and does so without complaining and can be relied upon in real world situations to not go bang, then it's a good amp.
100% Earth Moving Bass
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>