Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Budget amps - part3, 4.... 5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 8:50am
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

Interesting that three of us have mentioned a problem with (at least) one channel. Confused

Well, £150 for a spare channel module (and PSU) isn´t bad...   LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 1:00pm

Interesting that three of us have mentioned a problem with (at least) one channel. Confused

I seem to remember Amstrad amplifiers had a similar failure rate back in the mid 70's. LOL
Be seeing you.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 8:58pm

The only slight issue I've noticed is that if it isn't used for a few weeks there is no sound from channel B unless you stick a load of signal through it and then it suddenly pops into life. I suspect a sticky relay but it hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it.

So, powered everything up Saturday night and channel B was working fine, channel A however decided to do the above.Confused I thought I would try and push things a bit so put a bit of shelf eq on below 50hz and wound the bass output on the lms up a few db's. The result; The amp coped just fine and didn't seem to get any hotter than normal and then the landlord asked me to turn it down as the bass could be heard clearly above the band in the bar.Big smile
Wini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:13pm
Hi all,

Anyone want to sell a APB2700 for a sensible price?

PM me

Thanks
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:19pm
you can have my 2 faulty ones for £200
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 11:58am
Had all 3 of mine out at the weekend x2 2700 and a 2100, I must have been lucky as all 3 were working out the box. More than enough power for what I was doing, didnt even get anywhere near half power.
Once my nights take off will look and getting a 'named' brand but for now, im happy with them Smile
patryk1305 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patryk1305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by freddymendez freddymendez wrote:

you can have my 2 faulty ones for £200

What is wrong with them?
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 10:34pm

The only slight issue I've noticed is that if it isn't used for a few weeks there is no sound from channel B unless you stick a load of signal through it and then it suddenly pops into life. I suspect a sticky relay but it hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it.

So, powered everything up Saturday night and channel B was working fine, channel A however decided to do the above.Confused I thought I would try and push things a bit so put a bit of shelf eq on below 50hz and wound the bass output on the lms up a few db's. The result; The amp coped just fine and didn't seem to get any hotter than normal and then the landlord asked me to turn it down as the bass could be heard clearly above the band in the bar.Big smile

As of tonight the intermittent channel issue seems to have cured itself, result! And in the interests of science I've been giving the amp death every time it's used since I bought (2.6r per channel on bass and getting absolutely hammered by the end of the night!) and so far, so good. .

I bet it'll die a day after the 12 month warranty runs out.....
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 5:06pm
Just out of interest, how is everyone getting on with these?
Im just about to start some new builds (rebuilding my Cubo kicks and 2 new 18" Cubos) so hopefully I will start getting more bookings and more use, as mine are going out once every 3 months atm LOL
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2017 at 10:04pm
I've not used my 2100 for a few weeks and the lack of output on channel B when first powered up fault seems to have returned, as said, I suspected a sticky relay so popped the lid off to have a look and gave the relay on channel B a good whack with a screwdriver handle which fired it into life. I've ordered a new pair of relays but guess what, it seems to be working fine again now...  

Anyway, to answer your question IainB, when they're passing a signal they can take a battering(LOL), as said, my 2100 didn't even get that warm running 2.6R on bass with the clip lights flickering for a couple of hours.

Edited by njw - 26 August 2017 at 10:09pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2017 at 2:57pm
Just sold mine as I wasn´t really using it and I have far more amps than I´ll ever need. I made a (small) profit on the whole deal, so can´t complain.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2017 at 12:27pm

I suspected a sticky relay so popped the lid off to have a look and gave the relay on channel B a good whack with a screwdriver handle which fired it into life. 

LOLLOLLOL
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>