Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peavey VSX26

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peavey VSX26
    Posted: 25 March 2017 at 1:13pm
Something weird going on with the VSX. I had 2 x 2 ways set up, but only one bass output working, however the inbuilt sine wave generator outputs on... all 6.
Couldn't figure what Ive done so built 2 x 3 way crossovers, first I crossed at 20/20 then muted outputs on the VSX and moved the bins and tops along one to 2 & 5 & 3 & 6, all works fine so Ive saved that it memory and back onto USB.
Will play around with the non working one and see what I can work out WTF ive done!
Didnt run it up full pelt, but does sound nice, dropped the tops by 4db, no EQ setup, im happy Smile
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2017 at 5:54pm
Much faffing around with the VSX managed to get the right level out the signal generator, into the amp, which are now all marked at x40 
Settings all on laptop for my speakers, will transfer that over to the VSX tomorrow and annoy the neighbours, im SO lucky the other half doesnt mind have 6 speakers in the front room + amp rack.
Im following all the advice Ive been given, so it 'should' work.
I will leave the understanding of all the mathematics until after the gig, but at least im comfortable everything is now set as to what the VSX is expecting will be happening amp wise
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 7:39pm
Your making progress. One thing I would confirm is that your meter can read high frequency voltages accurately. This should be documented in the meter specifications.

Edited by Pinyorouk - 23 March 2017 at 7:40pm
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 6:30pm
Ignore the above, have been doing maths for limiters LOL using something I lifted off the Peavey site, example below
20log (((SQRT(200*8) / 40) / 0.775) = 2.2139
Now happy setting this up (nearly) just need to check the levels coming out the amp and im sorted, or at least enough to get this up and running Clap if it was easy, everyone would be doing it..

IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 1:41pm
Quick stupid question Mike... the calculator in the link you posted
I have 2 sets of speakers both 8ohm @ 500w, the amp will see these as a 4 ohm load
In the calculator im assuming I use the 4ohm @ 500w measurement (which makes total sense now Ive started typing it out. (as you can see this is all new to me, im usually 'plug and play'))
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 1:20pm
Your welcome. I am sure you'll be pleased. At least you'll have a good understanding of how it works and it will serve the purpose well.
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 12:45pm
Thanks Mike.
I know the software wont do a direct connection between laptop and VSX (spent way too many hours on the Peavey forum digging for info). Just glad I have the software so I can see it on the laptop screen, save to USB, import from USB to VSX and see if it works.
Thanks for the info on setting the limiters, one of my jobs for today is to play around with the inbuilt signal generator on the VSX and make sure my amps are set to the 'expected' output settings then do the limiter settings and give it all a test tomorrow.
Just a shame that a) the peavey forum is dead b) not many people use this LMS and c) I buy stuff without looking into it enough!
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by IainB IainB wrote:

Originally posted by Pinyorouk Pinyorouk wrote:

I have set one of these up and was sucessfuly able to use the computer software. This was with a Peavey VSX system. Verified all limiter settings with the aid of a multimeter on each amplifier output. It was spot on using Peavey amps with fixed gain. Only thing I didn't like about it was not being able to set a password to lock editing within the unit.

I dont suppose you still have a copy of the VSX software? Peavey have removed it from the download section Cry
Am I correct in my plan of action about how to configure it, I know what Ive written is really simple, just want to make sure im in the ballpark, first gig using the VSX is in just over a week Censored

Peavey sent me the software which I believe is in the link above.

I do not claim to be an expert but what I did with the limiters is use this calculator: http://www.poulpetersen.dk/Appn/gblimthc.html in order to calculate the maximum RMS voltage that I would like to feed to my speakers based on speaker wattage and impedance. I would then feed a sine wave signal into the crossover input. I had a stand alone sine wave generator but you could download one onto your phone/laptop. The next thing I did was select a sine wave frequency between my 2 crossover points. eg for bass 40HZ to 100HZ I would use 70HZ. Next I would connect my multimeter to the bass amp output (with no speakers connected) and increase the sine wave input level into the crossover. monitoring my multimeter voltage to ensure that the limiter limited the output voltage to where I had set it. If it went past that level I would lower the limiter threshold. so that increasing the sine wave input would not increase the amplifier voltage output past the voltage I had calculated. This was repeated for the mid and top amplifiers on both left and right channels to ensure that the limiters engaged at the desired levels.

In my case I limited the output voltages to 70% of the maximum voltages as any higher level was not required and I would not have been there to monitor the rig.

I did not conenct the software to the crossover but used it to create a file with my crossover points, limiter settings, delay and eq. This was then uploaded to the crossover using a memory stick.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Pinyorouk - 23 March 2017 at 12:36pm
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 12:24pm
Absolute star, thank you Smile that is SO much easier to understand whats going on
Im sure im getting dyslexic, that should have been 40-100! I am an idiot at times Confused 
USB stick is already sorted, its even in the same brushed aluminium finish of the VSX and 256mb
ewan360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewan360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 11:11am
Software is here: http://muple.com/shop/shop_detail_pds.asp?goods_code=0903090002
I had to reformat my usb stick (fat format) to get the unit to recognise it.

I would set the high-pass at 30Hz to start with, unless you have a ground-shaker of a PA system.

Edited by ewan360 - 23 March 2017 at 11:14am
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2017 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Pinyorouk Pinyorouk wrote:

I have set one of these up and was sucessfuly able to use the computer software. This was with a Peavey VSX system. Verified all limiter settings with the aid of a multimeter on each amplifier output. It was spot on using Peavey amps with fixed gain. Only thing I didn't like about it was not being able to set a password to lock editing within the unit.

I dont suppose you still have a copy of the VSX software? Peavey have removed it from the download section Cry
Am I correct in my plan of action about how to configure it, I know what Ive written is really simple, just want to make sure im in the ballpark, first gig using the VSX is in just over a week Censored
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2017 at 2:37pm

Edited by Pinyorouk - 22 March 2017 at 2:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>