Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

trap tse-211

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikelink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trap tse-211
    Posted: 19 February 2017 at 2:32pm
is it possible? what angle should i use?
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 7:41am
few trap TSE-111s (non-Turbosound origin but proper Turbo guts) went on ebay a while ago, so it can def be done.

Proper splay angle is a "fist" width at the front, my fist is about 115mm so call that 114 for the next bit, back needs 57mm shaved off each side to give best angle.

Make sure they are TurboBlue or they will sound shit.

You make also want to consider is it just the splay angle or do you actually need a gap between the wave guides for best sound, I would be tempted to make a pair very quick 15mm MDF prototypes up (yes they are 15mm boxes, NOT 18mm) and check a full trap sounds ok, you may need to go part trap but leave the last 120mm of the front as parallel sides.

Edited by shagnasty - 20 February 2017 at 7:43am
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 9:58am
I thought of exacty that as I was splitting pink floyd the wall soundsystem with a handsaw, lalala.
It's easier when u already have a tse-211 with one side missing (½ a tms-3)

@Shagnasty, I'm not sure what u mean by:
"Proper splay angle is a "fist" width at the front" Then:
"You make also want to consider is it just the splay angle or do you actually need a gap between the wave guides for best sound"

Not sure? It should match the splay angle, yet I've seen & heard tms splayed with more different angles than what makes sense:-) My tms-2s are about 15cm apart at front, but my friends tms-4s are more like 35 cm, add to that that the tms-4 horn is wider but has sane coverage angle.
Yet both things seems (sounds) to work out fine, I'd say one should have comb filters or dips...
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 10:32am
The splay angle is going to be a compromise, best to take a couple out of their casings, place them side by side at head height and adjust splay angle for what you think sounds the most even as you walk accross the front of them, idealy outside and walk past them about 5-10m away.
 Post Reply Post Reply