Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Budget Soundsystem with Turbosound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 22>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 5:49pm
Bought a Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro for 100 euros. Going to buy a rack next month, and making a deal on the TMS-3's.

Thanks for all the advice!
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 11:26pm
We purchased our rack, DCX2496, mixer and our TMS-3's!
This is our current plan:

With this in our minds as future upgrades:

Any thoughts?

Edited by Futendra - 27 February 2018 at 10:44pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 12:32am
first thought is your tms3s are sideways.
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 10:42am
My thoughts :D ..

Iv never personaly used flashlight but surely it's just a matter of considering sound quality / dispersion / spl ...
.I'd like to point out that the only thing that makes a cab frow sound further is it's spl output and dispersion .

If your primarily gonna be mono stacking your tops in fours then the flash dispersion seems like a good bet but just except that the compromise will be when your running two a side in stereo !
Atleast with narrow dispersion cabs you can point them where you want them with less spill which is helpfull for controlling acoustics !

Also if ur bass rig won't keep up with 4 flash cabs then that allows you to run them at half chat which is another massive plus for mid tops ... Hugely rediced distortion figures !

I'd also like to say that buying proffessional speakers as a prioritie with cheaper electronics isn't a bad thing ! Your speakers will have the biggest effect on the sound quality !
forget suggestions such mt121 or most DIY mid top horns as they are just so compromised and I'd say evan harder to setup and get a good sound out of !
Atleast with off the shelf horn tops you have support with settings etc!

It really does take many years to grow the experience to get 4 way horn big rigs to sound good , some never get there haha but Atleast with an off the shelf proven   design you know the equipment is actually capable of sounding good lol

Try and find someone you can pay to help u properly setup the rig from the get go !!

As far as bass solutions go , I think your biggest issue is finding something that will play up to 180hz ... Your freinds may use 186 horns but that doesn't mean it's a good idea ... Listen to what others have said , a long folded horn with an 18" driver on the end won't play that high with any degree of quality it will be a massive compromise !! And an injustice to the flash cabs !!

You Either need to go two way bass to get from 45hz to 180 hz with horns or use a wide band design like a reflex cab ! I personaly like the tight transient response of horns for tekno etc !!
There are some other options ...
A really long straight flh horn haha but not practical if 45hz is required !

What about a long (un practical) but not ridiculous size ported front loaded horn ?

A word on wbins ... Have heard heaps that havnt impressed me !!
Also heard a huge twin 15" ported wbin that's loosely based on the fane design that sounds awsome on tekno , sounds tight , goes very loud , goes low and kicks you in the chest ... Also was loaded with cheaper drivers ( will find out for u if interested ).

Only thing is there not suitable to sound good up to 180 hz (ideally )

Other thing to consider is any ported horn design won't be as efficient in multiples as a stack of flh's

Edited by matty w - 18 March 2017 at 11:06am
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 11:17am
Also .... Aren't pretty much all modern horn designs an adaptation of a much older design ??
There are only so many different mathematical models of horn expansion and only so many ways to fold them into a box !

Lots seem to have disregarded the wbin design as it's old ?
Technicly seems
Like a prett good approach to me
Depending on the frequency range your after !!

Anyone care to educate me why technicly they are an inferior approach to horn design ?
Or is it just that fashion has moved on and existing proven w bin designs available are designed around old drivers ?
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

first thought is your tms3s are sideways.

I want to prevent people having their heads in the high mids ans highs. Also don't need a very wide dispersion, I want the music to be in front of the stack. I haven't heard the difference yet, but we will see which way is better.

Originally posted by matty w matty w wrote:

My thoughts :D ..

Iv never personaly used flashlight but surely it's just a matter of considering sound quality / dispersion / spl ...
.I'd like to point out that the only thing that makes a cab frow sound further is it's spl output and dispersion .

If your primarily gonna be mono stacking your tops in fours then the flash dispersion seems like a good bet but just except that the compromise will be when your running two a side in stereo !
Atleast with narrow dispersion cabs you can point them where you want them with less spill which is helpfull for controlling acoustics !

Also if ur bass rig won't keep up with 4 flash cabs then that allows you to run them at half chat which is another massive plus for mid tops ... Hugely rediced distortion figures !

I'd also like to say that buying proffessional speakers as a prioritie with cheaper electronics isn't a bad thing ! Your speakers will have the biggest effect on the sound quality !
forget suggestions such mt121 or most DIY mid top horns as they are just so compromised and I'd say evan harder to setup and get a good sound out of !
Atleast with off the shelf horn tops you have support with settings etc!

It really does take many years to grow the experience to get 4 way horn big rigs to sound good , some never get there haha but Atleast with an off the shelf proven   design you know the equipment is actually capable of sounding good lol

Try and find someone you can pay to help u properly setup the rig from the get go !!

As far as bass solutions go , I think your biggest issue is finding something that will play up to 180hz ... Your freinds may use 186 horns but that doesn't mean it's a good idea ... Listen to what others have said , a long folded horn with an 18" driver on the end won't play that high with any degree of quality it will be a massive compromise !! And an injustice to the flash cabs !!

You Either need to go two way bass to get from 45hz to 180 hz with horns or use a wide band design like a reflex cab ! I personaly like the tight transient response of horns for tekno etc !!
There are some other options ...
A really long straight flh horn haha but not practical if 45hz is required !

What about a long (un practical) but not ridiculous size ported front loaded horn ?

A word on wbins ... Have heard heaps that havnt impressed me !!
Also heard a huge twin 15" ported wbin that's loosely based on the fane design that sounds awsome on tekno , sounds tight , goes very loud , goes low and kicks you in the chest ... Also was loaded with cheaper drivers ( will find out for u if interested ).

Only thing is there not suitable to sound good up to 180 hz (ideally )

Other thing to consider is any ported horn design won't be as efficient in multiples as a stack of flh's

We don't have flashlights, we bought the TMS-3's.
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 1:52am
I would probably ditch 2 186 horns and stack the tms 3's the right way round.

How many heads are you expecting? We have done 800 cap venues with 4 tms3's and 6 double 18 bins and it pounded.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by midas midas wrote:

I would probably ditch 2 186 horns and stack the tms 3's the right way round.

How many heads are you expecting? We have done 800 cap venues with 4 tms3's and 6 double 18 bins and it pounded.

Aorund 400-500. How would you stack it with two 186 horns less?

Edited by Futendra - 05 March 2019 at 6:40pm
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 5:51pm
+1 as some have said , make some single BR 18's , you'll get much more out of them under your Tms3's .
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Father-Francis Father-Francis wrote:

+1 as some have said , make some single BR 18's , you'll get much more out of them under your Tms3's .

We have decided to make the 186 horns for a couple of reasons:
- Horns are horny
- With the driver being so far away in a horn, it is better protected, as we will never have anything in front of the stack
- We want to be able to throw the bass a bit further

Edited by Futendra - 27 February 2018 at 10:45pm
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 10:21pm
In fact, you could just lay the tms3's on their sides one on top of the other.

In bass no one can hear you scream!
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 10:21pm
I have another question.

What if we were to combine the TMS-3's with TMS-4's in a later stage? How would I go about connecting everything? The TMS-4 is bi-amped while the TMS-3 is tri-amped.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 22>