Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Budget Soundsystem with Turbosound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 3:08pm
Of course we would first consider reconing if that can fix it. But isn't there a big chance that the magnets of the drivers lost magnitude?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 4:15pm
have you even checked the drivers?
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

have you even checked the drivers?

Not yet, I can't currently reach them, but we will ASAP.
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 2:41pm
We did some measurements yesterday. All driver cones are fine and all impedances are right.

What we did notice is that the wiring is done in a very strange way;

We tested which pin goes to what wire on the left side of the filter with a multimeter and this was the result:
High + leads to yellow
High - leads to green
Mid + leads to white
Mid - leads to black
Bass + leads to red and blue
Bass - leads to red and blue

If I assume the filter just mirrors the left cable to the right one, this would mean that the colour coding is all wrong, but mainly that both the positive and the negative lead to both the connections of the bass drivers.

Assuming the filter mirrors, this would be the final output:
Blue leads to red
Red leads to black
Black leads to brown
White leads to blue
Green leads to white
Yellow leads to green

Meaning that the connectors are actually wired like this:
High + leads to yellow (green)
High - leads to green (white)
Mid + leads to white (blue)
Mid - leads to black (brown)
Bass + leads to red and blue (black and red)
Bass - leads to red and blue (black and red)

The wiring of the drivers:
High + Green
High - White
Mid + Brown
Mid - Bluw
Bass + Red
Bass - Black

This clearly explains why we barely had any bass response. The polarity is all messed up. But now I am kind of stuck. How could it be that the connector leads to both black and red?

Does anyone have a picture of the wiring inside a TMS-3?

Edited by Futendra - 23 June 2017 at 2:51pm
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 4:42pm
Is it an option to completely remove the passive crossover?
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 4:33pm
While waiting for our new amp I have been experimenting in Sketchup with a bunch of different subs. Turns out we would be able to buy six labhorns for about the same price as we would spend by making eight 186 horns.

Now, my question is if the PQM13 would be able to power six labhorns. We would only be using three channels of the four, which means 3x 2100W at 4 ohm. Each labhorn is 800W RMS at 8 ohm, linking two in parallel would mean they are 1600W at 4 ohm. Would that be enough to power them sufficiently?

The other option is to have them built at 4 ohm, which would mean they are 1600W at 2 ohm. The PQM13 should be able to deliver 2500W at 2 ohm, but I don't know if that is a good idea.

Any feedback?
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 4:53pm
800/speaker should be sufficient.

Edited by gen0me - 03 July 2017 at 5:38pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 5:06pm
The LAB12 drivers are a 6 ohm nominal load, but when a pair are loaded into a LABhorn, the box averages out to around 4 ohm nominal each. That is standard and would be a good match for your amp.

Six LABhorns would be much better than the 186 Horns in my opinion, the LABs sound very clean, fast and tight and go plenty loud. They don't need a lot of juice at all, four LABs per K10 was what many people found to be a good combination to handle peaks.

Also Marjan on here was giving away two unloaded LABhorn cabinets, if you fancy a road trip sometime then that would get you to 8 subs in the future.

Edited by toastyghost - 03 July 2017 at 5:07pm
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 2:03pm
So a PQM13 would actually be overkill on the labs?
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 2:25pm
2500w/2ohm ~800w/6ohm.
My previous simulation was wrong(overexcursion)
Watch out with sae this spec is for burst 1% thd and impedance will drop even lower:
0.47ohm*12/3=1.88ohm
Sims were for 69.3V(800W on 6ohm).
You need to use 4 channels. 12 speakers total so 3 per channel gives 2ohm per channel. Also concern the fact they have in spec 2100w/4ohm and 2500/2ohm. Its not a good forecast.

Edited by gen0me - 04 July 2017 at 3:13pm
Futendra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 4:06pm
The labhorns are wired in series. I can't connect 3 drivers per channel. I can connect either 2 drivers or 4 drivers. Also, each labhorn will be 8 ohm, meaning 4 ohm if I run 2 in parallel. Which should be 3 channels total.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 4:40pm

Guys they are most demanding around 40Hz where is the impedance minimum.

You could bridge sae and have 3 labs in parallel but you will need to change wiring inside labs to series. So 5kW in 4ohm. 800w each speaker.

What do you mean each labhorn will be 8 ohm? What speakers are inside?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>