Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8" sub cabinet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padde298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 11:37am
Hi Jon.
Have tried to feed the T/S data into winISD, but somehow the program will not accept my Vas, Qms, Qes and Qts data, and HELP is not working either... Well, guess I'll have to investigate more later tonight (when not at job). Shocked
LOUDER!!! MO BASS
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 12:45pm
Anything you do with that driver is going to result in a big cabinet. To stay approximately flat in a sealed enclosure you need at least 70l of internal volume, and it will start rolling off below about 50 Hz (in half-space - in a smaller livingroom type situation you may get some "room gain" which mitigates that a bit.

If you wanted to go with a vented cabinet it would need to be even bigger to avoid having a large hump in the response which is unlikely to sound good - especially if exaggerated by room gain.
Padde298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padde298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 1:34pm
@DMorison: I appreciate your feed back to my post! What do you base your statements on? Which factor is the cause to the problems in using the drivers in a smaller (not big) enclosure? Just so I can look for a better alternative for my project.

Beeing new in the matter of calculating subs, I was of the impression that there was pre-calculated cabinets of a certain volume with a port that was tuned to a certain fq given the volume of the cabinet.
I may be mistaken in this point of view? I understand that the driver in any enclusure is the basis of the performance, and if the driver can not produce the fq that is the basis of the port/volume, one is presented with a problem...
LOUDER!!! MO BASS
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 2:16pm
I posted it for you, your qts parameter is .7 wich means it will need a big box to go low.                                                     
Watch out for drivers with really high Qts values of 0.6 or above, these would require such a big box to work correctly that in normal size boxes you don�t get much low end. They are better of being used on the rear parcel shelf of your car, where they can enjoy a massive rear chamber, 
Padde298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padde298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 3:20pm
OK, got it! I will be looking for other drivers to complete my quest for a SONOS like sub.
The tops are nearly sorted. Being made of a 1" soft dome, a 3" bas/mid and a 3" slave. Being an active speaker it also has a SMPS, a class D amp and a Chromecast Audio solution. Here is the 3D construction of the top so far..: (I will be posting pictures also a little later)

LOUDER!!! MO BASS
Padde298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padde298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 3:26pm
Pictures of the 3D printed front with frivers mounted...:
Clap

LOUDER!!! MO BASS
Padde298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padde298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 3:29pm
Another take on the top, with same configuration:

LOUDER!!! MO BASS
Padde298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padde298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 10:02am
Working on the finish of the tops..:

LOUDER!!! MO BASS
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 10:20am
Well that is certainly a fun looking project and a break from the norm of rectangular boxes. Maybe I should start thinking about stealing work's 3D printer on weekends
Padde298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padde298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 10:43am
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Well that is certainly a fun looking project and a break from the norm of rectangular boxes. Maybe I should start thinking about stealing work's 3D printer on weekends
Everybody can build square boxes, and God knows the web is filled with them! I'm trying to design a loudspeaker system which not just sounds good, but also look interesting! Having a 3D printer at hand certainly helps when the goal is like mine...Wink
In my scope is also the possibility of fitting some kind of LED "bling" using an Arduino. But more on that later.Tongue
LOUDER!!! MO BASS
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 11:32am
Haha, well I would stay away from LED bling myself as a personal preference but for sure there are probably some interesting things you could do with micro-controllers. Maybe something tasteful like ambient lighting in the ports of an enclosure would be interesting as opposed to strobing LEDs in your face.
Padde298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padde298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 1:25pm
Being from Denmark "subtle-ness" is key... So rest asure that it will not be "in your face", but more like accent lighting...Wink
LOUDER!!! MO BASS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>