Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best cart/stylus for Technics 1210 mk2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 11:10am
Not saying a 200€+ cartridge is a must. But if you carry to a gig

5-10k€ of PA equipment
1k€ mixer/preamp
500€ technics deck
1-2 k€ worth of records

Why would you skimp on the first and most important link in your signal chain?
Aurora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by yat yat wrote:

Xv-15 fits a standard Technics headshell I assume?

Yes it does.
yat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 11:15am
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

5-10k€ of PA equipment
1k€ mixer/preamp
500€ technics deck
1-2 k€ worth of records

If I was courageous and take out the 2M Blue I'd be happy with that. It sounds really great to me. If other selectors play rough with it, it might get damaged. That's a risk I gotta take I guess.

So an expensive cart on a 1210 is a good idea I take it?

Edited by yat - 25 February 2017 at 6:50am
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 11:21am

5-10k€ of PA equipment
1k€ mixer/preamp
500€ technics deck
1-2 k€ worth of records

+1000
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 11:24am

5-10k€ of PA equipment
1k€ mixer/preamp
500€ technics deck
1-2 k€ worth of records

If I was courageous and take out the OM2 I'd be happy with that. It sounds really great to me. If other selectors play rough with it, it might get damaged. That's a risk I gotta take I guess.

i would take 2 carts & swop them for each perpose,,just like dj's do with headphones,.put the top cart on for your own system plesure,,& if ya mates got ruff records & heavy handed,,giv him the lower grade one,.but i understand were your coming from
yat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 11:27am
Unfortunately that is not a practical solution, due to playing with one deck only and also the arse ache of setting each up properly. Cannot be done in the 5 secs it takes to swap a plastic for a next tune
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 11:46am

Remember I'm using a 1210 dj deck. Would it actually be worth dropping serious cash on a cart when using this deck. That's the question.

A well maintained 1210 with all original parts is still top value for the money! Of course you can do mods to incrementally improve, but the next step up the ladder would be sp10 or sp15 with €€€ tonearm and plinth.

I would say maxing out phono cartridge and preamp is the way to go with 1210. Going for higher end deck and arm you get diminished returns....
yat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 12:29pm
Yes I hear you, good to know I can choose from many carts that will fit the Technics. My deck is in superb condition too, so I should just experiment with what's been suggested here
Much appreciated all!
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 1:24pm
One widely adopted point of view in Hi-Fi La La Land, is the order of significance of components of vinyl playback, to "quality" of sound.

Other than clean/unscratched vinyl....

1) The most important seems to be the deck/platter itself. (and then mods to PSU for speed stability, blah blah)

2) Then tone arm "quality".

3) Only then do the nutters feck about with cart/styli.

One of the few Hi-Fi things a kind of agree with. The deck itself, and its motor system, sets speed stability, and in our game, goes a long way to feedback isolation. Then tonearm, again in our game, because of cueing and scratching, tonearm, and quality and robustness of bearings makes a huge difference.

Then, and only then, start getting esoteric with cart/styli. I would say a "new" stylus is probably the most important aspect?

A know a lot of sounds do use things other than 1210/1200. Garrard and Linn LP12 feature a lot. I have a LP12 at home, with a SME3009II arm, but I wouldn't want to take that out live, necessarily. Way to fragile?
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 1:40pm

If I was courageous and take out the OM2 I'd be happy with that. It sounds really great to me. If other selectors play rough with it, it might get damaged. That's a risk I gotta take I guess.

Ok, I see your predicament! Sharing one turntable a nd playing tunes randomly back to back with others is a different situation. If you're doing roots style with dub siren and toasts and announcements, you could still swap carts. You only need to make two adjustments, tracking weight and antiskate. If both cartridges are similar enough in weight it's no problem. Buy a miniature precision scale. 0.1 g precision is enough. You can find those for example in "assorted herb enthusiast utensil shops"
During soundcheck, Adjust cart A in the way the manual describes. Then swap cartridges, check the new stylis pressure of cart B with the scale. Readjust tracking weight, memorize the new value. Now you know the settings for both carts, and could actually swap carts in more or less 5 seconds!
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

Damn, still using 500ALmk2....

I'll get my coat.

(Ortofon is what we stock for sale, as Stanton has just gone nuts with ease of distribution, shure to order)

Still got the Concords I bought from Beulah road in 1991 (£39.95 each!), and the DLP-1 belt-drives I stuck them on. I'll make no allusions to the quality of the Soundlab decks, but they did us fine for dub and techno until someone got Technics with Stanton 500's (which sounded worse and broke more often). The Ortofons were like alien technology to a lot of DJs at the time, so they probably got a bit more respect and careful handling.

Always did intend to upgrade to SL1210s, looks like it's going to cost me now...
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 3:42pm
+1 for the Q Bert. As with all things sound-wise you will have to use your own ears; mine tell me that it sounds v good, is loud, has good frequency response etc.
and I don't scratch or only listen to hip hop. Sounds good to me with everything.
S
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>