Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PL-Audio Q3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PL-Audio Q3
    Posted: 28 February 2017 at 10:51pm
hey folks,

planning to build this system
2 x1 with pd 1850
4 hd15 with pd 1550
2 mt121 with pd 123 + bms4590 (combined with bms 2236 horn)

speaker management:
xilica xp 4080

now for the amps:
sub section: pl-audio q3. site is only in german ( http://pl-audio.de/produkte/endstufen/q-serie/ )
mid top section: ram audio zetta 440

does anyone have experience with the q3 amp by pl-audio and would share it?
any general concern about this setup?

thanks
tillin
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 7:52am
you wont need a bms 4590 above mt121s, good 1.4" comp+big horn would do..
Q3 amps have been tested independently and not really recommended to drive all CH on bass duty despite the marketing blurb on their website..
tillin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 8:39am
thanks bass

what would be a good amp for the bass section? i would like to  keep the amp not too heavy in weight. 4ch perferred ...budget up to 2000euros
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 9:07am
would go for a dedicated bass amp + tsa4-1300 on kicks and mids + dedicated hf amp (class a/b).
plenty options, hard to suggest something, depends a lot on where you are based and whats available, new or SH etc.

tillin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 4:50pm
ok folks,

did some research...pardon i m new in the whole thing..

amps:
tops: qsc gx3
kick/mid: tsa 4-1300 or ram 6044
low: synq 3k6

for mt121 tops: bms 4554 + bms 2236horn

what do you think?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 4:54pm
that compression driver won't fit that horn.
also you probably want a 1.4 that will go a little bit lower than 1khz.. the 12" section of mt121 will play up to about 900hz.
the 18 sound xt1464 is a great horn. and people rate the beyma 755 series of compression drivers so maybe look at them?
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by tillin tillin wrote:

thanks bass

what would be a good amp for the bass section? i would like to  keep the amp not too heavy in weight. 4ch perferred ...budget up to 2000euros

If you trying to keep budget @2000euros is that for The AMP ? If so then get one of The powersoft K8 someone is selling here ,
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 5:11pm
Or try one of these [URL=http://http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JMSQ10&browsemode=manufacturer%20] or buy two 2 ch amp . Is the euro stronger than pound ? 2000euro is about 1750£ so in reality you can get 2*4ch , if am not wrong .
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 5:19pm
tillin, i wont suggest the 3k6 on bass either.. they will die quickly, specially on subbass..!
tsa would be ok on kick and mids, save the money for a proper bass amp ;)
matrix xt800 would be my choice on hf, or an old little crest/camco/mc2.

re horns, the large faital and 18s 1.4" work well and more or less match mt121s dispersion, leaving a little xover gap between 12" and 1.4" would be better than running the comp lower imo.

tillin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 10:36pm
wow thanks for the input...so let me sum up things a little bit.maybe i didn t get everything

amps:
tops: xt800. nice suggestion. class ab and lightweight. i just couldn't find a german shop that sells it.anyway i could order in uk
kick/mid: i would like to go with a 4ch amp here to save weight. the JAM Systems Q10 looks good, but i saw it's no longer available on the page. here in the forum i saw this thread about this amp, there were discussions if the pl-audio 10.4 would be the same amp.is it like that? a 10.4 would be easy to purchase in germany
sub: powersoft seems a good choice. i saw a k6 on used-stage-equipment.com. would this also do for the sub section or should i go for the k8?

top horn:
i was a little guided by looks. i really like the tops of the translate soundsystem. seemed that they used those bms horns. is there a way to integrate them into the mt121? by the way i was planning to put the 121 apart so one m12 + top
tillin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2017 at 11:42am
more research done of course you were right regarding the hf section

18sound ND 1460 + XT1464 horn
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2017 at 1:35pm
Great combination! I would advise to go for 12NDL76 in the MT121, but the PD is not bad either (just old...)
Personally i run SAE PQM8 on mid/tops (would also be good for kicks, as is the TSA 4-1300) and a DAP stage amp 4.0 on sub duty.
You cant compare the DAP to a Powersoft K series obviously, but it will give a solid 2000-2500w per channel on Subs all night.

Stay away from cheap 1U 4 channel amps for bass. there is a reason the proper ones cost a few thousand (and even then, they wont give you the stated specs as long time output).
Also stay away from QSC GX series. imo they are among the worst on the market.
Ram Audio Zetta is fine for tops!

Overall, why not run the rig off two TSA 4-1300? They are cheap and when you do 1 channel sub, 1 kick, 1 mid and 1 high, it will be very fine. Not bad sounding either. If you can afford to, go with K series on sub, sure!

Btw, i have two unused ND1460 for sale and you can buy SAE amps via me. If you are located near berlin, you could come and look/hear yourself ofcourse.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>