Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me choose an lms !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Hvedstrup Hvedstrup wrote:

What about the Linea Research LSC DSP's? 

I run my floods with 2 x Turbosound LMS-D24. They are great sounding units with fantastic limiters and Podware over USB to serial is easy peasy. 

I AB'ed one against a Ultradrive on Res2 tops. It sounded way better and even the owner agreed that he needed a new DSP. 

Linea Research uses constant phase filters whereas Ultradrive uses variable phase filters - interested how you set up an AB comparison?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 5:33pm
Do you mean variable Q vs constant Q?
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

I run my floods with 2 x Turbosound LMS-D24. They are great sounding units with fantastic limiters and Podware over USB to serial is easy peasy. 

I AB'ed one against a Ultradrive on Res2 tops. It sounded way better and even the owner agreed that he needed a new DSP. 

Linea Research uses constant phase filters whereas Ultradrive uses variable phase filters - interested how you set up an AB comparison?

NEVER good to bring up Soundweb  Mk4 (Linea Research, you know the crew) in an LMS thread!!!! LOL
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 3:07pm
Ok so here is the case today lol.
Got offered a mc2 ti1048 (xta dp488) for a bit more money than the xilica goes, but its the install version with those wire connectors. The danley xilicas are not for sale anymore new.
So the final question is xilica xp-48 or an install xta dp488 ?
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 5:53pm
Hi Sypa
on prosoundweb there seems to be a consensus about xilicas sounding good but also that the limiters sound bad -not that they don't work, simply they sound bad when activated even briefly, giving something like a digital sound someone says (but it has got also compressor on the inputs).
the xp line has got a two lines very simple front panel, usable but looks cumbersome. also xta does not have a big display, but those hardware parametric controls are something i envy every time i see one.
also problems reported (maybe firmware fixed it) with exceding dsp power: seems that the xilica lets you add filters and they effect the "preview curve" but the dsp does not apply them... 

xtas are almost the standard, and their limiters  the same, so if i could get an used xta 448 for little more than a xilica i would go that way. here in Italy i see used dp448 going for far more money than a new xilica xp4080.

i use dcx2496, have played with xta series 2 and 4 and have never seen a xilica.
The berry serves me well but i'm not very confident with having just one processor - and a behringer, so i am pondering wether buying another dcx or investing at least double the money in something better.
xtas too rich for my blood so it will be between a used  xilica xp4080  and a xca48. liking the xilica so far, but still can't understand why both miss the continous phase control of the dcx (xta too but has plenty of phase filters instead). xilica has also all pass filter. but the real bugger is that limiter sound issue that many report. may go with dbmark xca for that reason, but apart from that issue they seem nice machines

Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 12:25am
Thanks for the detailed response. The mc2 branded xta is actually also new . Dont know if you read that from my post but the only thing thats different from a normal 448 is that it has no xlr outs but spade connectors ( are they called that ) and display on the wrong side?? ;)
Ive googled a bit and they are also much much cheaper list price than a xta branded one, the xlrs cost 1500euro ? :)
I would also get the xilica immediately if i get it at a better price than now on thomann, it seems the price a few years back was 400-500 eu less...
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 7:51am
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Very simple AB test.

Left channel = Res2 on Ultradrive and MC2 E475 channel 1+2
Right channel = Res2 on Linea Research and MC2E475 channel 3+4

Play music and compare. Even turn the balance knob from time to time. 

Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 7:52am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

NEVER good to bring up Soundweb  Mk4 (Linea Research, you know the crew) in an LMS thread!!!! LOL

Sorry for my ignorance, why? 
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 3:26pm
The boys that are Linea were very in the original SW project and have really evolved it, their kit is really impressive but you would expect that from people that saw a revolutionary concept and then realized it wasn't quite upto some of the projects people tried so they learnt from that....
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 6:52pm
Im so dumb lol , no one could correct me ?
Just figured the mc2 is not the dp range but the dc1048.
Except the phoenix connectors are there any other things that make this unit not quite suitable for live fiddling ?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:32pm
think they're only configurable via laptop.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 12:18am
Yeah just read the manual...
Just one thing i didnt quite get ,do you put in the settings and save to a preset and thats it ,or you can change parameters live ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>