Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Filler???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolymorphicMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Filler???
    Posted: 07 March 2017 at 5:41pm
Hi there, I've been using P38 filler for along time on my cabs to fill the counter sunk holes used for the assembly screws. I've noticed on some of my older cabs that I still have in my possession, the filler plug has lifted out of the hole. Upon removing the plug the screw behind has rusted causing it to expand and push the filler out. I know filler is porous so I assume water has penetrated the Aldcroft speaker paint, soak through the filler and rusted the screw.

I think from now on I'm going to use stainless steel screws, but I never questioned the filler i use.

So I'm asking you lot, What type of filler are people using?

Mark
Free to do what i WANT
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 5:50pm
fine sawdust and pva glue mix. cheap, strong and does the job!
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 6:10pm
yes, use pva/sawdust or wood filler. use the money you save to buy some decent screws. using car body filler is solving a problem that doesn't exist. it doesn't sand down flush with the wood easily either so you end up making more work for yourself.

if there's a rusty screw in there try and back it out, or at least drill the head out.

Edited by snowflake - 07 March 2017 at 6:13pm
Marko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 6:31pm
I have the same problem.
Do you know if Warnex will stick to PVA glue?
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 6:40pm
it will definitely stick to wood filler so use that. they call it wood filler for a reason!
PolymorphicMark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolymorphicMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 6:43pm
Any particular brand of wood filler?

Free to do what i WANT
Marko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

it will definitely stick to wood filler so use that. they call it wood filler for a reason!

I know it will stick to filler but filler that I used expanded.
I dont know is it becouse of the filler or the screw underneath. The screw does not look rusty.
I'm searching for alternative for wood filler. I read here before about PVA glue with dust but donmt know will Warnex stick to it or I need some primer coat?
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 10:21pm
What size screws are you all using? I was considering using the tonguetite screws as the lost head makes for a much easier safer hole shape for filler to bond into which would eliminate this issue.... thoughts?
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 10:36pm
Counter bore and plug hoe hoe?

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 07 March 2017 at 11:52pm
DJ-Versatile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Versatile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 11:11pm
Just to throw my two pence in, I've used Big Boy lightweight filler to great effect on a number of cabs 
If you are the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room....
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 12:47am
Devils advocate: Don't use screws, they're a structural liability the moment the glue sets.

Rebate, dowels, biscuits, glue and f*** off big clamps should do it.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 7:38am
Originally posted by I-shen Soundboy I-shen Soundboy wrote:

Devils advocate: Don't use screws, they're a structural liability the moment the glue sets.

Rebate, dowels, biscuits, glue and f*** off big clamps should do it.

How is a screw a structural liability?
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>