Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What exactly does H+H- mean on 3 way crossover?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What exactly does H+H- mean on 3 way crossover?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What exactly does H+H- mean on 3 way crossover?
    Posted: 17 March 2017 at 12:54am

I bought 2 new 3 way crossovers for my speaker set. I wired the woofer to the W+ W - of the crossover as well as the tweeter to the T+ T- and the mid range to the H+ H-.(the pos and neg terminals on the crossover are in this order, HH,TT,WW). The woofer and tweeter sound perfect and are loud in volume, the 10" woofer im using as a midrange is very low and faint in volume(but sounded far louder when wired to Midrange of my older crossover). What does H H mean on a 3 way crossover?, is it for midrange or ? I did a test and wired the tweeter to the H H, and the volume was also very low and faint but loud on T T, anyone have an idea why? What does H H stand for? Cant find answer on google search. Heres the specs for the crossovers-3-way passive crossover 8 ohm Woofer Frequency: 20Hz-500HzMidrange - 500HZ-4.5KHZTweeter - 4.5KHZ-20KHZ600 watts RMS/1200 watts peak each

Edited by nicr - 18 March 2017 at 2:31pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 2:08am
Need pictures of both sides of the crossover.
nicr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 2:49am

Edited by nicr - 09 April 2017 at 10:50pm
nicr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 3:03am

^Above is the crossover. Cant find pix of back and dont have camera. I wonder if this new crossover is defective or the H H terminal is 3/4 burnt out? Or is that the way H H is supposed to sound-its very low in volume and faint when mid or tweeter is wired to it and wat does h h stand for? if anyone has an idea, thanks.

Edited by nicr - 17 March 2017 at 3:55am
nicr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 3:51am
edit....

Edited by nicr - 17 March 2017 at 3:55am
wayward91 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayward91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 9:08am
stick the mid driver on it for testing and figure it out ? less likely to damage it . No idea , perhaps means something in another language ? ... If you read them upside down it could almost read M L H ?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 9:34am
Yes, swap mid and top (tweeter to H and mid to T) and see what happens.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
nicr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 2:31pm

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Yes i switched mid range with tweeter(wired mid range to T+T- and tweeter to H+H-) and the mid range sounds much louder and tweeters very low in volume, this proves its not my midrange speaker but the H H thats sending very low volume. The h h of this crossover may be faulty or 3/4 burnt out. AND by the pix and specs of this crossover pair, are they 8 ohms each or 4 ohms? and is it 6 db or 12 db?

Edited by nicr - 17 March 2017 at 3:06pm
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 3:32pm
Not sure if this is helpful but the U.K convention colour coding for wiring signal from crossover to amp racks is

Red = Low
Yellow =Low Mid
Green = High Mid
Blue = High
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by nicr nicr wrote:

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Yes i switched mid range with tweeter(wired mid range to T+T- and tweeter to H+H-) and the mid range sounds much louder and tweeters very low in volume, this proves its not my midrange speaker but the H H thats sending very low volume. The h h of this crossover may be faulty or 3/4 burnt out. AND by the pix and specs of this crossover pair, are they 8 ohms each or 4 ohms? and is it 6 db or 12 db?

What about the frequencies? Can you notice the different bands? Do they sound right? Maybe you should just send the xover back and get your money back.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
nicr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 5:06pm

Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

Not sure if this is helpful but the U.K convention colour coding for wiring signal from crossover to amp racks is 
Red = Low Yellow =Low Mid Green = High Mid Blue = High 
The blue wire as picture of crossovers show is wired to H, which is supposed to be mid, but as you pointed out blue is for highs. I did contact seller and he said H H is for high midrange, T T is for tweeter. The freqs for W and T sound perfect, for H it sounds good on mid range but very faint, H wired to tweeter sounds slightly higher pitched than when tweeter is wired to T but very faint. TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE the white retangular item on crossovers get extremely hot like its ready to burn. It must be faulty, time to ask for a refund. 

Edited by nicr - 17 March 2017 at 5:12pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 5:54pm
"TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE the white retangular item on crossovers get extremely hot like its ready to burn. It must be faulty, time to ask for a refund. "

That is a 20W ceramic resistor and will get hot under normal use, but yes, no point messing around, just get a refund.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>