Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What exactly does H+H- mean on 3 way crossover?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What exactly does H+H- mean on 3 way crossover?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 7:16pm
I've just found that crossover on ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PASSIVE-3-WAY-CAR-HOME-AUDIO-CROSSOVER-EMB-PROFESSIONAL-CX-10-2400W-MAX-PAIR-/231828072722

Features:

Two EMB Professional 4 or 8 ohm crossovers
    Frequency ranges:
    Woofer Frequency: 20Hz-500Hz
    Midrange - 500HZ-4.5KHZ
    Tweeter - 4.5KHZ-20KHZ
    600 watts RMS/1200 watts peak each 2400 Peak for Pair

600watts RMS LOL

Edited by APW - 17 March 2017 at 7:17pm
AJordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 11:02pm
I would hazzard a guess that it actually says L M H as mentioned already. If you connect H to a midrange driver it would sound fainter as there will be less power being sent to the highs. I would connect your woofer to L........ or T as it reads. Your mid to M............or w. And your high to H. See how it sounds then.
nicr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 1:27am

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

"TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE the white retangular item on crossovers get extremely hot like its ready to burn.It must be faulty"That is a 20W ceramic resistor and will get hot under normal use, but yes, no point messing around, just get a refund.
The white resistors get extremely hot to the touch(will cause a burn to finger if held for certain short time) smelling a bit after 20 or 30 minutes of play. Is this normal or will they burn out soon? I imagine they will or wont and you did mention its normal for resisters to get hot. Theres very little when H is wired to woofer. The terminals are H T W and are not shown as backwards. And im embarressed to say, im actually using 2 10" woofers as the mid ranges. When they were wired to my older crossovers, they were very loud to the point i had to lower the mid of the eq, but sound very faint on H of new crossover. 

Edited by nicr - 18 March 2017 at 2:28pm
nicr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 2:03am
So my final qu is, how hot can resistors on crossovers become? Is it normal for them to be extremely hot while playing hours a day, every day for months, years or will the crossover burn out in the matter of how long? How hot is too hot? I have to decide to return them or keep them, thanks.  

Edited by nicr - 18 March 2017 at 4:32am
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 10:36am
Depends on the part and its spec, they could happily work at 50-60C for quite a while before failing, but it probably won't be the resistor itself that fails. It'll be the PCB burning and charring, or it might get so hit it desolders, or it might be a combo of that and vibration. And another problem is that its resistance will change as it gets hot, how much I couldn't exactly say.

But it shouldn't really get that hot, I think something is wrong somewhere.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 3:13pm
Quote I think something is wrong somewhere.

Yes, the claimed power rating of that crossover board.

50 Watts max, home stereo system...

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 6:58pm
Possibly a very valid point!
nicr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 7:20pm

Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

"I think something is wrong somewhere." Yes, the claimed power rating of that crossover board.50 Watts max, home stereo system...
Im using a 500 watt receiver and i used the new crossovers for only 50 minutes total and the resistors got so hot, actually the resistor of 2nd crossover got even hotter than other crossover that the black rubber on the coil melted a bit and on back of 2nd crossover looks like a slight burn. Any chance these crossovers are 4 ohms and not 8 ohms by looking at the picture and specs on page 1 of this thread or maby they cant handle a 500 receiver? My older 8 ohm crossover had for 15 years and still no problem with it sounds louder than new crossover, i wonder if new crossover is 4ohms? Thanks for replies.

Edited by nicr - 18 March 2017 at 11:42pm
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 9:53am
The xovre being 4 or 8 ohm should not affect anything getting hot, it just affects where the crossover points will approximately be in combination with your drivers in the final system. Whether a 4 or 8 ohm board, the components ideally contribute zero resistance in series with a driver in its passband.

Whether 50W or 500W, if the board is getting that hot you have miswired it or it is faulty.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 1:51pm
Or 500W amp driving a badly designed 50W (hifi) xover.   Ouch

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Or 500W amp driving a badly designed 50W (hifi) xover.   Ouch

It's not beyond impossible. I'm thinking along the lines of the only function a resistor should have in an xover like that would be padding, and then I'd only expect to see that on the tweeter being as it is such a simple design. Not a lot of power there in comparison to the rest.

I think we can agree it is pretty cheap stuff though, be much better off going active or investing in some properly specc'd components. Buy cheap and buy twice...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12