Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yamaha PX series amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yamaha PX series amps
    Posted: 17 March 2017 at 11:31am
Has anyone used them? They are doing a 4 for the price of three at the moment. I am looking at the PX10. I doubt it gives the stated 1200w. However, I am not looking for megga power just an good sounding amp for Live and DJ pre recorded. Sound and reliable are the two main.
Thanks for any opinions.
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 1:23pm
Hi, 

I was a small bit interested in these amps. 

I emailed Yamaha to find out if they feature PFC and what the peak current draw was like. 

Wasn't expecting much from them in terms of a reply, but got even less. A link to the manual, which obviously I had already read. Clearly they didn't bother to read past the first line of my email. 

I couldn't be bothered with dealing with Yamaha after that.

QSC have a similarly priced DSP based amp. They look a bit better and have a lot more information regarding the spec. Still little in the way of user feedback. 

doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 1:54pm
I agree that info is really sparse. That is why I was asking. Never the less I took the plung and bought three. Got one free so four plus a free ultradrive with the points that I stacked up. So, What do I think.? I am very very happy with my new amps. The dsp is just fantastic. I have no need for the ultradrive. So easy to navigate and all that I need. I have xti amps and it always says DSP OFF.
Thease are not a bass amp. But I didn't expect it to be it's Japanese. I think that they do sound very good for the price. I was running old QSC's b4 and I think that they match them. I also looked at the qsc equvilent. Just went with my gut and not atall sorry. For me at this point they are perfect. I was trying to buy an European brand but didn't happen and very happy it didn't they would of had no dsp. I can run 3 px10's off one 20amp breaker at 100v near clip no worries. Also they look ok. I do doubt the specs but Yamaha are very clear it's a 20ms burst.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 3:00pm
Glad they worked out for you.

How much warranty do they come with?

Edited: auto correct.

Edited by Speaker Sol - 03 April 2017 at 3:01pm
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 11:06pm
I don't know standard one year I guess. You won't get much more in Japan without paying for it. I hope they go the distance fingers xst. Yamaha always seem ok if you don't rag them.
I bought thease because I am getting more and more live acoustic kinda stuff. So megga sub is pointless. Also When the promoter looks at my racks he will be happy. Before it was a bit vintage. bullshit baffels brains and all that. One point on the sub they do hit the lows just not very hard.
unclejam View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclejam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 6:33pm
Hey Doller How are these  Working for you? I'm looking at the Px8's and Px3's to power my Smt-212's and kick bins.
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 2:04pm
Sorry Unclejam didn't see the post. Well I have giged them a few times now. I have to say they do just fine. As i have said I bought them for live music. Just great for me. ran them off a genny 12hrs straight. They do sound OK as expected from Yamaha. I would say Crown xti series sound. The dsp is so user freindly. I bought the px10s and have them running from sub to comps. Just dial in the the limiters. So comps are set to 300w. I don't think you should expect monster bass for dance, edm or dubstep ect. I would say get a proper bass amp for that. For kicks and up, for the price I can't complain. simple three way active you can ditch the lms. I am yet to see if they are reliable or not. All in all I am happy. Also they have a handy hour meter on them so when you sell them the buyer can see just how many hours they have done. Maybe standard now I don't know.
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 12:02pm
Some pics of the DSP just because I have been going on about it. Make of it what you will. Notice the limiter is in whatts not db. Don't know if this is a good thing or not? Does make for quick setting though. You also have all the slopes up to 48db Bessel, Butterworth and Lwr. Handy as.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 4:37pm
They look smart.

How do the buttons and controls feel? Do they feel like they will stand the test of time? 

richardstringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 4:52pm
What about power output though because Yamaha amplifiers are well known to only be able to deliver btheir rated power burst not continuous. A few years back I used to have a Yamaha P7000 and my mate bench tested it and we found that it's rated power output was burst and not continuous so I sold it and got myself a used JBL MPX1200 instead which was way better gave continuous power output. But then it did weigh a ton, lol.
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 4:58am
Speakersol sir. The buttons are fine the jog wheel is a bit cheapy. But same as most similer priced modern amps I would guess. Time will tell.

Richard when I bought these I understood that it was burst power Yamaha are very clear about that It is prominent in all the ads. That said they do go loud I haven't had them clipping yet. Did one DJ gig ( the guy from "Delight" Ha! blast from the past) It was a small venue but they coped. I just think you need to understand what you are buying. If you want real power and light weight you will need to dig a bit deaper I guess. Four of these weigh 27kgs my old qsc's 37kgs each. Also will sit on one 20amp breaker. I am happy. And I got one free.
noway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:47pm
Do they run quiet enough to use for home use?  ie. can you hear the fan or any hum/buzz/hiss?

Also how far apart are the level adjustments for each channel in dB.

Thanks in advance.  Not much info available on the internet about these yet so appreciate your feedback.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>