Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BMS 12n630 box with pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0krizia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMS 12n630 box with pics
    Posted: 19 March 2017 at 11:58am

Finaly after multiple designs i have made a enclosure that sounded like i wanted it with next to no eq in half space. The driver is BMS 12n630 (heard alot of good things about it in this forum) and the box is 60L with 33hz tuning. The goal was to build a subwoofer box that was lightweigth and that has a practical size + low frequency response. I found 60L to be a sweetspot in size, building any smaller will not be more practical it would just go on the expense of frequency response and/or SPL. 
The tuning was set to 33 hz since thats the lowest tuning i could posibly get with a 4" aerobic port given that i wanted the box to be tall enough to not having to bend down to much to pick it up. with this port it can play a pure 33hz tone at full power with next to no shuffing so there is no unwanted noice at all from this box. 
The total weight of the box is ridiculously 12.5kg. 

This box is no SPL monster but it does play more than loud enough for my use, i have achieved 113Decibel with it outside even with a 6db boost at 31.5hz for extra bottom. soundquality wise i have gotten many compliments,
and i am pleased my self. This driver is the best performing driver i have owned so far.
here is some pictures.

Edited by 0krizia - 19 March 2017 at 12:09pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 1:49pm
My i be as so bold as to ask to zee your design? I have said driver and wouldnt mind hitting some wood now the weather is getting better....
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Thomas Hosker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 6:28pm
Nice work, i really love this driver!
WWW.T8Audio.Com
0krizia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0krizia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 9:57pm
I don't have any drawings but I can send you the measurements of the plates and a description when I get time mini-mad (^^)
0krizia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0krizia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 10:04pm
I have had this driver for 2.5 years now and I have achived better sound quality with this driver in a proper box than my old Martin audio ws218x subs.
Can't go wrong with them.
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 11:29pm
I have both the 12n630 and it's bigger brother (15n630) in Tony W's Q12 and Q15. I barely use the Q12 anymore as the Q15 is considerably louder, but I'm considering options for the 12N630 (probably involving a second driver...).
Tony did design a double 12" which looked gorgeous, but your 60l box is a real treat and looks like it might get more SPL out of this driver than the absurdly small Q12.

Edit: Nice decking. 😋

Edited by I-shen Soundboy - 19 March 2017 at 11:34pm
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 12:11am
I made an updated version to the original q12 the q12fp, and a double version q212fp.

the first of the fp range was the q18fp, this was the last project myself and Tony worked on before his sad passing.
https://www.elements-audio.com
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 12:29am
And an excellent development they appear to be too.
Did Tony abandon the rear-porting for the Q18 (and you for your fb range) for any particular reason? The rear port on the original Q12 was a very neat arrangement. Later models (Q15/early Q18) resorted to multiple rear ports, but by the later Q18/Q21 models I've see the ports were on the front...
0krizia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0krizia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 7:44am
Originally posted by I-shen Soundboy I-shen Soundboy wrote:

I have both the 12n630 and it's bigger brother (15n630) in Tony W's Q12 and Q15. I barely use the Q12 anymore as the Q15 is considerably louder, but I'm considering options for the 12N630 (probably involving a second driver...).
Tony did design a double 12" which looked gorgeous, but your 60l box is a real treat and looks like it might get more SPL out of this driver than the absurdly small Q12.

Edit: Nice decking. 😋

Tony W`s q12 will probably play louder, size is not always a indicator of SPL, but ulike the Q12 that has a 45hz tuning and a frequency response down to 42hz - 3db and 38hz -6db or so, this box plays straigt down to 33hz -3db and 26hz - 10db. No lows will be missed with this box and that make a big diffrence in the music experience, esp in some music genres.

Edited by 0krizia - 20 March 2017 at 7:52am
0krizia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0krizia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 7:56am
Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

I made an updated version to the original q12 the q12fp, and a double version q212fp.

the first of the fp range was the q18fp, this was the last project myself and Tony worked on before his sad passing.

Looks nice Bee. Is there any benefit of having these intead of some 18"s ?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 8:28am
is that a floodlight on top? do these double twelves play all the way down, and all the way up to 180 nicely? i suppose they should.
0krizia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0krizia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 8:28am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

My i be as so bold as to ask to zee your design? I have said driver and wouldnt mind hitting some wood now the weather is getting better....

External size 
50cm deep
37cm wide
48cm high

plate dimentions.
2x 37cm 50cm
2x 50cm 48cm
2x 34cm 45cm 

The port is a aerobic 4" with a total lenght of 34cm  

The build is simple, all you need is to assemble 6 plates
and paint it. The port is in the bottom in back in order to get space for it and 
the driver is on the top in the front. 
The front plate is 4cm inwards to give space for the driver exution and the grill.

The front grill was ordered custom made from http://www.speakergrills.co.uk/.
Once i ordered it i was sceptical and did not expect much if anything,
but the grill they delivered was truly of high quality.
As a nice finish on the grill i added a foam on the inside. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>