Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tannoy VQ60 and VS218DR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tannoy VQ60 and VS218DR
    Posted: 20 March 2017 at 6:16am
Hi all 

I just made a impulsive buy of some very cheap Tannoy. It's 2x VQ60 and 2x VS218DR and im picking it up later this week.

Music "support" aren't really helping in supplying a preset for this combo even though i have the correct Lin ea Research DSP and i can only find the VQ60 preset in the manual without the sub. The boxes are in the Lake load library but all settings are hidden so can't extract them from here.  

Anyone has the preset/settings for this exact system?

Any experience with these boxes? On paper they look great but searching online gives mixed reviews. 
Finjby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finjby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 11:49am
I do feel for you with the 'support' from music group.
I have had similar experience recently with Midas and Turbo spares/info.
They seem quick to introduce new stuff, but not so hot on supporting the legacy of the brands they constantly brag about.
Hopefully someone on this forum has the settings to offer you.

I have used the VQ60 at the Waterfront in Norwich a few years back.  They have similar (separate processing and amps - not the active VQnet stuff), and were having discussions with sales rep at the time to obtain the correct/better presets.  
They had the 2x18 / 2x15 / 2x vq60 per side configuration.
The first year i used it there it sounded good.... the following year it sounded amazing!  
I think there were issues at the time when Lake/Lab joined the party and there was a rush to update to use FIR settings vs. the IIR presets supplied when it was installed.
I'm not sure what they ended up doing, but maybe try and contact the tech staff at the venue?

To reassure you about your purchase though, I must mention that the Norwich VQ system replaced 3 stacks a side of KF850/SB850.   And in my opinion, it walked all over it!
The vocal headroom and clarity from the Tannoy compared to the 'industry-standard rider box' made me realise that coaxial compression drivers were the future.

I really hope you get the results you are after, tuned correctly its a great system.
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 4:11pm
Ok, thanks for the info. 

Do you know how to contact the Waterfront? 

Can't really seem to find anything online besides ticket sales. 
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 8:19am
One of the boxes designers contacted me and sorted it all out.

Very nice. 
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2017 at 10:23am
Quick update.

After getting incontact with one of the designers and getting the newest presets for the OEM Linea Research that Tannoy use i fired up the system for the first time. I can only say WOW! This system rocks. Loud as hell and very detailed and hifi'ish. Seriously impressed. 

Cons are that its HUGE! A 500L reflex sub is the size of a fridge. Its a 10U extra deep and wide rack next to the system. My Floodlighs and TSW-718 suddenly looks compact.  

Marko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2017 at 11:10am
Congratulations on this new system!
Can you share crossover, eq and limiter settings here? I'm interested in that sorts of things especially for these little bit egzotic stuff.
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2017 at 1:17pm
Shure i can give you the settings. 

They load in podware on a 2x6 dsp. 

Gain structure you will need to find your self. 

Limiters are set for 32db fixed gain amps and are RMS. You could loosen them up a bit. 

Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2017 at 2:01pm
Those cabs for sure will sing! low distortion high SPL output from the 12'' woofers, combined with the huge horn in front of the coax BMS driver and low crossover point will bring great true point source behavior with high power handling.
Basically, my ideal midtop except for i would like to have the 12'' hornloaded to reduce the power consumption to that section and increase directivity down low.
The horn on that BMS is absolutely lovely big, i only dislike that it does not have mouth roundover but the sheer size of it gives such good loading and pattern control down low, its already awesome!
Best regards,
Teun.
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2017 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Teunos Teunos wrote:

Those cabs for sure will sing! low distortion high SPL output from the 12'' woofers, combined with the huge horn in front of the coax BMS driver and low crossover point will bring great true point source behavior with high power handling.
Basically, my ideal midtop except for i would like to have the 12'' hornloaded to reduce the power consumption to that section and increase directivity down low.
The horn on that BMS is absolutely lovely big, i only dislike that it does not have mouth roundover but the sheer size of it gives such good loading and pattern control down low, its already awesome!

I knew they would Sound good, but just How Good surprised me. The co-ax is crossed at 450hz and a passive crossover at 8khz.
Marko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Hvedstrup Hvedstrup wrote:

Shure i can give you the settings. 

They load in podware on a 2x6 dsp. 

Gain structure you will need to find your self. 

Limiters are set for 32db fixed gain amps and are RMS. You could loosen them up a bit. 

Thanx!
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 1:17am
I'd really like to hear this speaker , do you know what would run out of steam first , the 12" section or the bms comp ??
The 12" drivers .. Does anyone know what driver they are based on ? Be intersting to know what kinda 12" they've mated up with the big horn !

450hz to 8k you say .. That's like 4 octaves ... That's a huge stretch for a 2" exit compression driver or any driver tbf ...

Can imagine that harmonic distortion figures are a weak point of this speaker ??

Getting 8 kHz range to sound rite on such a big horn isn't ideal especially when it's being generated by a big 2"exit compression driver diaphragm !
Plus the drivers are being pushed to 450 which makes there higher range sound evan worse !

Heard nothing but good reports on these cabs , I'm intrigued to know more about there design !
I run community m200 2"exit comps on the huge jbl 2360 horns and I cross at like 600 hz , can't get em to sound optimal going any lower .. Mayb I'm doing something wrong hahha
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 5:06am
That was you at the watrefront then. I remember seeing the Prodigy and others there. 25 odd yrs ago. It was soooo loud I could feel my ear drums distorting. At the front it was inaudable. Ruined a good gig. I doubt that it was you but just always sticks in my mind. Just too loud. This was the ground floor rig. I don't think it was a tannoy rig then.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>