Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your suggestion for 18" + 15" plans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthies00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your suggestion for 18" + 15" plans
    Posted: 22 March 2017 at 9:21pm
Hey guys

1st, if wrong section, please move to the correct one.
2nd greetings for all of you

Now, we just have very mixed soundsystem, and the plan is to make it more equal, since almost each cabinet is different...
LEt's forget what it is now, but focus what we can use.

Speakers we have are (yeah, some are very oldskool :) but still working fine!):
- 6 x 18" RCF L18-851 (1000W) @ square sub which is rubbish
- 2 x 18" Eminence Omega Pro 18 (800W) @ Horn 1850 cabinet
- 2 x 15" Eminence Delta 15A (400W) @ scooper
- 2 x 15" JBL 2225H (400W) - not in use
- 2 x 15" JBL E140-8 (400W) - not in use
- 2 x 15" DAS P15 (400W) - not in use

And some mid-highs, not important ATM i think, because they are build fine.

So, we would like to run 8 x 18" and 8 x 15"
I know it should be our prefference what we want to achieve, but there is so many ideas here on the forum, that we are completeley confused.....

Is it better to go for subs @ 18" + kicks @ 15", or maybe put something between @ 15 + 18 ?
What cabinets will you suggest then?
We mostly play repetetive electronic music, sometime at bunkers, in summer season openair. At bunkers we can not fit all the speakers obviously :)
Would be nice to keep it as a quite compact system, without necessary to use a truck and fit in a bus/van only.
maybe you have some questions that could help for your suggestions?

I was personally thinking about maybe some subs for 18's and double cabinet for 15's?

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 2:25am
My only suggestion is to not try and use all those different drivers together, sell off most of them and buy more of those that are best suited for the cab designs you want to use.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 12:58pm
+1 i'd be standardising so i had say 6 matching 18s and maybe 4 matching 15s [or 8 and 8 whatever]
at least they will work together instead of against eachother that way
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 1:22pm
I'd look at the cubo series. Very forgiving cabinet for different drivers with a great output/ size/ weight ratio and goes low enough for most EDM.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

My only suggestion is to not try and use all those different drivers together, sell off most of them and buy more of those that are best suited for the cab designs you want to use.

+1! Get rid of excess drivers. Keep RCF, since you have a pile of them, get rid of the eminence 18", they are inferior anyway Ouch 

Actually, first off, are you constrained by budget? Half of the drivers you have on your list is obsolete. So you will have a hard time finding spares. If you are short on cash and have to make do with what you have, fair enough. 

If you don't have that kind of restrictions, it might be better to start from a clean slate, and buy/build something future-proof, more state-of the-art. 

Originally posted by matthies00 matthies00 wrote:

And some mid-highs, not important ATM i think, because they are build fine.

actually information on your mid high boxes is very important. You need to look at the big picture. How low can your mid highs play? And how loud (=how many people can it cover)? This will affect your system design choices a lot.  

here's a thread about the RCF 18" drivers:

We have a rough idea of what you want to do, but you haven't given any estimate of crowd size. 50? 500? 5000? 

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

actually information on your mid high boxes is very important. You need to look at the big picture. How low can your mid highs play? And how loud (=how many people can it cover)? This will affect your system design choices a lot. 
+100

Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

here's a thread about the RCF 18" drivers:
That thread shows how NOT to use an 18" pro sound driver... in a small sealed enclosure. I have some of those RCF 18" drivers loaded in dual 18 reflex boxes designed by Yorkville. They can make some noise and produce reasonably good extension but no they aren't nearly as capable as a modern driver.

Edited by Conanski - 23 March 2017 at 2:35pm
matthies00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthies00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 5:44pm
Thank you all so much for responses. There we go:

1. we do not have any idea on cubs we want, becase lack of knowledge what can we build :(
2. it doesnt have to be 8+8 at start. We can do 4+4 maybe and the rest, later on.... here we goes to point 3
3. we are short of cash, that's where the idea came from, to use what we have, since probably all the budget we have will have to spend on plywood and materials.
4. info bout mid-highs i left over on purpose, because those are just standard LDM PLP-515 speakers which are said to be in range of 38-20000 Hz.
5. the crowd, 500 is ABOVE expectations :) i think even 200 is the very maximum we can get.
6. this thread i saw time ago, and it convinced me, the cubs we have now for the RCF's is rubbish.

We are just looking for inspiration with low budget, and to make it play with sense.

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 6:45pm
How many of those mid-high cabs do you have? Two?

For maximum 200 people, you don't need two-way bass. 

Sell everything except the RCF, and build some suitable reflex cabs for them. It will be enough for the size of events you are doing. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthies00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 7:25pm
yes, 2 pcs.
WHat reflex cabs could you propose?
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2017 at 7:48am
Originally posted by matthies00 matthies00 wrote:

yes, 2 pcs.
WHat reflex cabs could you propose?

Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

I have some of those RCF 18" drivers loaded in dual 18 reflex boxes designed by Yorkville. They can make some noise and produce reasonably good extension but no they aren't nearly as capable as a modern driver.

Maybe conanski can help you?
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2017 at 8:57pm
fs 39hz
qms 6
qes 0.38
shy 300w rms
most likely not much xmax

should work well in compact reflex cabs not tuned very low, 500w per cab max?

6 of them should provide enough bass for 200 people+ you get a good stacking height for the tops..
sell the rest of your speakers and buy wood and amps + a dsp/lms/controller :)
- your tops wont be enough to keep up with 8x18" and 8x15", not even 4 of each, anyways..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthies00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2017 at 11:10pm
just got a t.amp 4x1300 and behDCX pro. IN plan is to get another t.amp.
However regarding all your posts, i am starting to think that 15" will be useless. Maybe better use 1850 Horn for the 18" ?
Or which compact reflex cab could you suggest?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>