Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your suggestion for 18" + 15" plans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2017 at 4:14pm
Happy to help Smile

Originally posted by matthies00 matthies00 wrote:

We are not in a rush, we can slowly consider what is right, and what is wrong.

That is a very good approach! Take your time to learn and experiment before you make big decisions. 

I remind the idea, that for me it was just a pity do not use the 15's. Furthermore selling them will be ithink also silly prices :)

well, if you have the space for a loudspeaker collection, and dont need the money to invest in other equipment, then sure why not. If you want to seriously go into measuring, building different cabs, and experimenting a lot it is very nice to have a little collection of drivers to play with. But again I point out to the fact that all those 15inch drivers are very different in parameters compared to each other. You will not be able to use all at the same time together.

Why i asked about horn, is because there was a bargain to purchase some horn looked cubs. Guy said it's build like Pol Audio T118. For me looks very similar to Horn construction, but i am not an expert.

you should consider that using a lot of different cabinets in the same frequency band is very bad. It usually doesnt work. Especially if you have a mix of reflex and horn cabs or even bandpass etc. The output from these different speakers will each have different phase response (google and learn about phase if you dont understand). It means that they will not add together and make a stronger sound, but work against each other.

For bigger systems it sometimes makes sense to have the bass range divided into sub (below 80Hz for example) and kick (for example 80-160 Hz). But this only makes sense if you have optimized designs with suitable driver that are very loud in their respective bands, and you have the possibility to tune the crossover (delay, phase, level). This is not an easy task. If you dont do this properly you will again have a hole in your frequency response.

Forget about adding more speakers. You really need to sell some of the stuff you already have, and optimize the rest so that you have a working, sensible system.

Tell us about your amplifiers and processing Smile

krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2017 at 5:11pm
the rcf drivers were used in the Yorkville sw1000 dual 18 bass cabs maybe if you can find some specs for them it will give you an idea what size /tuning reflex cab they work in
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
matthies00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthies00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2017 at 5:45pm
power amp is t.amp TSA 4-1300, in plan is to get next one and for this just arrived Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro.

I will look around for how much i can sell the 15", if peanuts, probably we will keep them and maybe in future build some second system ;d
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2017 at 5:45pm
earlier in this thread I posted a link to a pdf published by rcf in 2000 that contains complete sets of thiele small parameters, and even some cabinet size and tuning recommendations for a lot of drivers, including the L18-851
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2017 at 5:47pm

I will look around for how much i can sell the 15", if peanuts, probably we will keep them and maybe in future build some second system ;d

The jbls should be worth good money if they are in decent condition. Put them on ebay and enjoy 😀

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthies00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2017 at 5:06pm
i got that pdf thanx.

Guys there is an option to purchase something like this. But i can not find what it is exactly and awaiting reply from seller.
Cost 70€ each
8 x 18"
4 x 15"

What do you think about this? Maybe any of you know, what construction is this? BSC Audio that's the only i can read from picture.

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 3:16pm

i got that pdf thanx.

Guys there is an option to purchase something like this. But i can not find what it is exactly and awaiting reply from seller.
Cost 70€ each
8 x 18"
4 x 15"

What do you think about this? Maybe any of you know, what construction is this? BSC Audio that's the only i can read from picture.

without knowing details, who knows?

for a set of fully functional, decent cabs the price is almost too good to be true. Are you sure the seller is legit? Could be a scam, or stolen goods? 

Ask if you can test for example a pair of each speaker with your own amplifiers and music.

If he is reluctant to let you inspect/test the boxes before sealing the deal, it's fishy!!

SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 3:44pm
Is that carpet? & sat on grass.. nice. at 70 per cab I bet its all torn. Or like bob says fishy.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 05 April 2017 at 3:55pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthies00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 6:04pm
there is a thin wooden pallet, no worries ;)
What do you min by fishy or all torn?
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 7:42pm
70€ for a working loaded cabinet that size is quite cheap.. even unloaded its a fair offer..
- make sure the woodwork is solid, check/test drivers individually at high levels if possible, pay in cash on collection/tests only, guess thats basically what bob tried to tell you.

good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthies00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 9:55pm
uhm ok. no worries i ain't going to buy a trash :)

I've got some more pictures, that should tell us all. Take a look.

Edited by matthies00 - 05 April 2017 at 9:55pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 9:22am
oh, so it's actually 8 subs & 4 front loaded kick/mids.

Are the cabs all unloaded? Do you have any idea what the subs are? reflex or something else?

the 15" look like some old school JBL/Altec stuff that other people might be better at identifying. They may or may not go high enough to meet a compression driver. 

Edited by bob4 - 06 April 2017 at 9:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>