Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cubo or Tham?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cubo or Tham?
    Posted: 24 March 2017 at 11:19pm
Out of interest what design is your preferred out of the tham and cubo and reasons.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 24 March 2017 at 11:54pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 3:08am
Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

Out of interest what design is your preferred out of the tham and cubo and reasons.

Iv got cubo15s and a tham12.
The cubos need to have powerful drivers or four of them.

...i what a pair of tham15s to try out as my thatm12 does a beautiful job in my bar at work and would like a bigger pair to play with.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 8:25am
None. Still can't beat a properly designed bass reflex for sound quality. I used a tham 15 for years but after listening to a proper 18" br cab, I realised I was missing alot in the thams.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 8:35am
i agree - i'm yet to hear a tapped horn that i even remotely like. Loud, yes but the phase and frequency anomalies are a compromise too far for me in the way they effect sound quality.

As for your ebay plans - why not just list everything available and make what people order?
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 8:43am
I do. Just noticed a lot of people raving about cubo's when the tham response looks superior to me, wondered if I was missing something because I have noticed the tham12 I run in the workshop upto 120hz does sound delayed as if out of phase at certain frequencies. Am I running it to high?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 9:10am
Yes you are running it too high. Tapped horns done right are great, low distortion though so maybe don't feel as loud? But they are a sub and have serious problems above sub passband. Try a LPF at 80/90 and you'll be much happier. In my opinion tops should cover down to there anyway.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 9:15am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

... and would like a bigger pair to play with.

I think we all get this feeling occasionally.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 10:24am
LoL 
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 10:43am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Yes you are running it too high. Tapped horns done right are great, low distortion though so maybe don't feel as loud? But they are a sub and have serious problems above sub passband. Try a LPF at 80/90 and you'll be much happier. In my opinion tops should cover down to there anyway.

The top hopefully will. Thanks will try 80/90. Might have try putting a little delay on the top as a fudge as well if that doesn't cure it because I think there's is a phase issue a bit lower down. But sounds to me as a standalone sub I'm better off with the tham. As a larger system with 4 or more cubo's may be a better option. Imagine any phase error in the Thams would be exaggerated by adding more of them.

Other than that it does sound great. Like you say low distortion and powerful for its size.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 25 March 2017 at 11:17am
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 11:11am
Haven't used or got thams but have 4 cubo's with emmys in. My two pence. I was disapointed with the cubos at first really didn'd sound all that. Then I got me a qsc pl4. Soon realised that they need a whack of power to get them going. Also put the magnet in the horn chamber. Made a big difference. B4 hitting xmax real quick. Sounds much better to me also. They are a funny cab. They have dead spots like 2.5 mtrs away. No bass move back a bit and boom. I do like them, don't think that they are super cabs but they do do what they say for sure. And will keep up with a JBL jrx single 18 type with ease. Just what I think after using them for a couple of years.
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 11:50am
i had 2tapped horns of the late tony wikes ,celestion ftr12 1000watt 12s loaded & from 80- 50hz they was nice,,anything below or higher forget it,,i sold them after numerous testins,.very small box's for the output but 1 single 18inch 600 watt,fbt ferve 18a ablitrated them from hi bass to low,,very one noted in my opinion,.

Edited by BASSHORSE - 25 March 2017 at 11:52am
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 1:48pm
I'm just in the finishing stages of a Cubo 12 build.

I certainly hope that sound good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>